Motorola's foldable Razr smartphone leaks: images and specs

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Earlier rumors have suggested the phone will pack a 6.2-inch OLED screen. If it is indeed a bendable screen as most believe (and not two separate, traditional screens), I feel a lot less confident about its outlook. The rumored mid-range specs are also off-putting, but again, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

Serial mobile leaker Evan Blass has reportedly shared an image of Motorola’s highly anticipated Razr remake on Twitter. Update (11/1): more pics!

The leaker has inexplicably locked down his Twitter account, only allowing confirmed followers to view his protected tweets. Worse yet, his bio notes that he isn’t accepting follow requests at the time so if you aren’t already on the list… well, there’s no point in even bothering to try and view his content directly.

Instead, you’ll have to turn to a third-party site to see what all the fuss is about.

The image purportedly shared by Blass shows what appears to be exactly what you’d expect from a modern Razr – a clamshell with a foldable display that looks a lot like its predecessor. A separate leak from Dutch site Mobielkopen claims the device will be powered by the mid-range Snapdragon 710 SoC with Adreno 616 graphics and as much as 6GB / 128GB of RAM / storage. Motorola has reportedly settled on a 2,730mAh battery.

The Samsung Galaxy Fold proved that plastic-like folding displays have no business in consumer devices at this point. They’re simply way too fragile. Until something more durable hits the market, these early foldable phones will never get off the ground. The rumored $1,500 price point is also laughable, especially if it has a terrible screen.

Of course, none of this has been confirmed and is pure speculation at this point. With any luck, Motorola will prove us all wrong. If that happens, the company stands a chance at bringing back the Razr in a meaningful way.

Motorola will unveil its reinvented Razr smartphone on November 13.

Permalink to story.

I don't think the average person knows what processor is in their phone or how much ram it has. The people who will buy this are buying it for the folding screen, or nostalgia for the old razr, not for the specs.

I hope it is successful though. A couple of generations from now the price should be reasonable. The people who buy the first gen typically know they are paying an early adopter fee, and are purchasing it for the novelty and to show it off.

I don't think the average person knows what processor is in their phone or how much ram it has. The people who will buy this are buying it for the folding screen, or nostalgia for the old razr, not for the specs.

I hope it is successful though. A couple of generations from now the price should be reasonable. The people who buy the first gen typically know they are paying an early adopter fee, and are purchasing it for the novelty and to show it off.
Perhaps not... but the "average person" also isn't shelling out $1500 for a phone... even a "nostalgic" one... I'm not shelling out $1500 for a phone that doesn't have top-of-line specs. Heck, even a top-of-the-line iPhone 11 Pro with max storage is cheaper than that!

That certainly looks like a dual-screen design to me. Now if only we could get a phone like this but with a physical keyboard on the bottom half. THAT would be progress.

Unless you are into "cutting edge" games and what not, except for battery life, pretty much
any processor newer than the snap dragon 8xx series, for day to day stuff, phone, web, text,
youtube etc...is GOOD ENOUGH. It's all just more power you don't need, per se.

Been using a Motorola ever since the first Razr came out and I've never been disappointed. This one will be interesting to see but I'm not sure I'd go back to it .... although, if the price is right it will certainly be tempting!

Unless you are into "cutting edge" games and what not, except for battery life, pretty much
any processor newer than the snap dragon 8xx series, for day to day stuff, phone, web, text,
youtube etc...is GOOD ENOUGH. It's all just more power you don't need, per se.
Except this is rumoured to have the Snapdragon 7xx.... not good enough... certainly not good enough for $1500

I still remember back in 2005 when we would ask those with original Motorola Razr phones how the experience of shaving with them was! (as a joke of course)

I really hope this turns out to be a reliable device. I'm really looking forward (or backward?) to this form factor. Really sick of these big fablet phones in my pockets, very uncomfortable. I'll stick with my 4" iPhone SE for now...

Looks nice. Way too pricey, but hopefully others can iterate on this design and produce some nice slim cheap equivalents in a few years time!

Back