Mozilla finally releases Firefox 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Following several test versions and on the very last day of its self imposed deadline, Mozilla has finally released Firefox 3.5 to the world. Originally dubbed 3.1, the new version brings a private browsing mode, support for emerging HTML 5 standards, location-aware browsing, a reduced memory footprint, updated anti-malware and anti-phishing features, improved tabs and more. The most notable new feature, however, is the TraceMonkey JavaScript engine which offers substantial speed improvements over previous releases.

In fact, Mozilla claims Firefox 3.5 is twice as fast as 3.0 and more than ten times as fast as 2.0. Exaggeration or not, recent benchmarks show the browser’s JavaScript performance is indeed faster, but still behind Google’s Chrome and Apple’s Safari. Firefox does have some advantages of its own that will keep people from switching away to rival browsers. Namely, a wide range of add-ons to expand its functionality and enough market share to make developers test their sites for Firefox compatibility.

The latest version comes little over a year after the much-publicized release of Firefox 3.0, which broke the world record for most downloads in a single day after 8,002,530 people downloaded the software. Users can download Firefox 3.5 here (7.7 MB), or head to Mozilla’s site to read the official release notes.

Permalink to story.

Sorry for being picky, but you're still using the old Firefox logo for the article's image :p

Here's the new one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Firefox_3.5_logo.png :p

Downloaded Firefox 3.5 and already had my first crash :D Upgraded from the previous version but it don't seem faster. I like what they done with the tabs though I am use to doing the CNTL-T

I like my plug-ins in the previous version. I'll hold back on upgrading until they are all updated for this new release. That is, unless someone or some review shows me a "gotta have" feature in FF 3.5 that encourages me to update before the plug-in updates are available.

It takes 70MB just to start up firefox and they are talking of "low memory footprint" ?!?!

Guest said:
It takes 70MB just to start up firefox and they are talking of "low memory footprint" ?!?!
its only 25MB to start on my computer and i have the ABP ad blocker plug-in too

the older version took significant time to boot up. opera is much faster in booting up(almost instantly)

Guest said:

It takes 70MB to load up firefox AND render a website, you mean... much like just about every other web browser.

Guys, Is there anyway to get Awesome Bar back ?
I mean being able to see 10 most visited bookmarks by pressing down on the Location bar...

Firefox hasn't crashed for me in years. Literally. Obviously this is user error, especially considering you spell it "CNTL." Nobody spells it that way. Look at your keyboard. Notice how it's spelled "CTRL?" Yeah. Welcome to technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back