MSI Afterburner developer hasn't been paid because of Russia's war against Ukraine

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Bottom line: MSI Afterburner is easily one of the most well-known names among hardware enthusiasts and gamers alike, but the program could soon become abandonware as the single coder working on it hasn't received a payment by MSI in a year.

Russian developer Alexey Nicolaychuk has said MSI Afterburner is probably "dead." A Russian programmer better known for creating the seminal RivaTuner hardware monitoring application, Nicolaychuk is the sole coder working on the tool, and he hasn't received a single payment by Taiwanese hardware company MSI in a year.

MSI Afterburner is a popular tool used to overclock and underclock the GPU (via undervolting), monitor hardware performance with its in-game overlay feature and record videos or take quick screenshots.

As stated by Nicolaychuk on the Guru 3D forums, MSI Afterburner has been yet another casualty of Putin's war against Ukraine. The project has been "semi abandoned" by MSI for at least 11 months as the company stopped "performing their obligations under Afterburner license agreement" due to political reasons.

The developer says he feels disappointed and like he is "just beating a dead horse and waste energy on something that is no longer needed" by MSI. The programmer continued working on the project on his own, but now he is thinking about some limited support in his free time while searching for other projects in order to pay his bills.

Nicolaychuk also said he plans to continue developing RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS), Afterburner's hardware monitoring backend, which started as a companion software to the aforementioned RivaTuner. RTSS is a "separate and fully hobbyist application created many years before MSI Afterburner was even born," the coder said, and it's still fun to develop and design new features for.

RTSS backend aside, MSI Afterburner's halted development would be felt across the whole gaming and enthusiast world. As confirmed by MSI itself, sanctions decided by major countries and corporations against Russia after its invasion of Ukraine made money transfer to Russia a much more difficult and complex affair.

All is not lost, however, as MSI was quick to react to Nicolaychuk's forum message and the clear disappointment expressed by gamers and overclockers alike. The company is well aware of the situation, and it is fully committed to continuing with MSI Afterburner. "Our product marketing & accounting team are dealing with this problem now," MSI said to Wccftech, and a solution should be arranged soon.

Permalink to story.

It's terrible to have a single developer for one app. Issues that he doesn't want to solve don't get solved, changes that people want but he doesn't,don't come unless the pressure gets really high. This is probably a good thing, and I'm imagining msi thinks the same. I quit using the app years ago, there are better alternatives and afterburner often conflicts with other overlays that emerged over the years.

Funny, guy has ukrainian last name…
Yeah, ironic. But so is Einstein's German sounding surname. Or Obama's African surname. It's just a name. Should leave Russia anyway, like Einstein did - for His own safety - unless He enjoy His status in Russia, then He deserves to be poor.

"Putins war", the war now continues forever because usa aid is making too many people filthy rich to end it...

$113 billion in 2022 alone. no end in sight.
You suggesting that USA is responsible for killing all Those civilians since 2014 in Ukraine? That's one twisted logic, brother. USA left in a hurry resources rich Afghanistan as soon as They realized That Afghans themselves don't care about living in a Western style democracy. No massive retaliatory strikes on Talibans, no nothing. USA obviously will invade Those that mess with It, and help Those that ask, if They will feel They have business in It - kinda cruel but true over the last century. Russia on the other way is just about bloody conquest and establishing empire from ocean to ocean.

It's terrible to have a single developer for one app. Issues that he doesn't want to solve don't get solved, changes that people want but he doesn't,don't come unless the pressure gets really high. This is probably a good thing, and I'm imagining msi thinks the same. I quit using the app years ago, there are better alternatives and afterburner often conflicts with other overlays that emerged over the years.

I haven't had issues with MSI Afterburner, but I have had issues with RivaTuner that works with it.

RivaTuner impacts STALKER - well, it at least conflicts with the Anomaly mod for it. I kept having Xray engine crashes when trying to run the mod and I found a posting about how RivaTuner can interfere with the game and cause crashes. Once I removed RivaTurner I no longer had any crashes.

Yeah, ironic. But so is Einstein's German sounding surname. Or Obama's African surname. It's just a name. Should leave Russia anyway, like Einstein did - for His own safety - unless He enjoy His status in Russia, then He deserves to be poor.

You suggesting that USA is responsible for killing all Those civilians since 2014 in Ukraine? That's one twisted logic, brother. USA left in a hurry resources rich Afghanistan as soon as They realized That Afghans themselves don't care about living in a Western style democracy. No massive retaliatory strikes on Talibans, no nothing. USA obviously will invade Those that mess with It, and help Those that ask, if They will feel They have business in It - kinda cruel but true over the last century. Russia on the other way is just about bloody conquest and establishing empire from ocean to ocean.

-> "Yeah, ironic. But so is Einstein's German sounding surname" ... dude , Einstein was german... or maybe I didn't understood your sentence...

-> "Yeah, ironic. But so is Einstein's German sounding surname" ... dude , Einstein was german... or maybe I didn't understood your sentence...
Yeah, sure, He was German... German Jew. Left for good in 1933, when coincidently, certain Austrian national got to power in Germany.
;-)

Back