MSI announces tiny RTX 3060 Ti for mini-ITX systems

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? With their size and power requirements, squeezing a standard RTX 3000 card into most mini-ITX cases is going to be either impossible or claustrophobically tight. But companies are finally managing to shrink the RTX 3060 Ti to satisfyingly tiny dimensions, with MSI announcing what appears to be the smallest one yet.

MSI's GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Aero graphics card takes all the impressive performance of its full-sized sibling and reduces its size by 40 percent while halving the weight, making it perfect for small form-factor PCs and HTPC setups.

Other specs include 4,864 CUDA cores, 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM, a 256-bit memory interface, a single eight-pin auxiliary PCIe power connector, and 200W power consumption. MSI recommends a 650W PSU.

MSI's single-fan, dual-slot card features high-efficiency copper heat pipes up to 6mm thick and a custom PCB design. The GPU isn't factory overclocked (1,665 MHz boost), and like its full-sized version, you get an HDMI 2.1 port along with three DisplayPort 1.4a connectors.

Those looking for a similar and presumably cheaper (MSI hasn't revealed pricing) option, the company also announced the GeForce RTX 3060 Aero ITX 12G OC and GeForce RTX 3060 Aero ITX 12G.

MSI isn't the only company with a mini RTX 3060 Ti. Asus has its DUAL GeForce RTX 3060 Ti MINI OC Edition (above), which is only about 3 cm (1.1 inches) longer than MSI's offering. It comes with two fans, a 1,710 MHz boost, and recommends a 750W PSU.

Permalink to story.

I think the next time I have (or want) to build a PC from scratch I'm definitely going small. I love my current PC but the size of it (NZXT Phantom 410) is just starting to get on my nerves.

Amazing that this lil' card has more power than any of my graphics cards, that each time I unboxed proclaimed "Phwoaaarrr look at this BEAST" (verbatim). Huh, funny that.

I am also releasing a brand new graphics card and it's faster than anything Nvidia or AMD has to offer. Due to the current global pandemic supply is short so I've only managed to make 0 cards. I'll keep you posted.

I reckon it is so small, you won't be able to see it in any shop, yet again. I would give you 3 guesses as to why, but you should do fine with one.

If they shipped it to stores and made it so you MUST physically pick them up to get one then the supply would be there for most of us. This being able to buy one and have it shipped is what's causing all the 'bots' to get them before we normal people can.

Most consumers would see this and think it's not worth that much compared to bigger designs of 3060 ti with 2 or 3 fans. I don't think the rtx 3070's needs 3 fans, yet most designs are three fans, because companies think (and are probably right) that 3 fan designs will sell better because of the above misconception. My dual asus rtx 3070 OC is doing just fine in terms of temps and performance.

My ATX case doesn't have the best clearance for a gpu, for me that one was a very good fit but most buyers would avoid it (if stock existed and they actually had a choice :p) and automatically think that 3 fan design would have better performance.

If they shipped it to stores and made it so you MUST physically pick them up to get one then the supply would be there for most of us. This being able to buy one and have it shipped is what's causing all the 'bots' to get them before we normal people can.

And as long as they limit the purchase to one per person or so. Plenty of scalpers happily sit in line to purchase as many as they can at stores. Greed has no boundaries. I've seen plenty examples of that.

THAT is going to answer a lot of complaints out here ..... let's just hope it's priced reasonably backed up with availability!

only about 3 cm (1.1 inches) longer
Male reproduction organ jokes aside (and I could make many) the smaller of ITX cases like the K39 (180mm max) or Velka 3 (175mm max) or anything basically the width of the motherboard would not have 3cm to spare, so it's not just a oh by the way thing. Of course those examples are outliers, as most enthusiast ITX cases can at least handle 3070s and 3080s with a few examples even fitting 3090s. A point which brings me at odds with the lede of this article, as there is at least one subreddit that makes hammering in enthusiast cards into ITX cases look like a casual weekend pastime.

For those that want to know since I didn't see it in the article, the card is 172mm in length, 125mm in width, and 43mm in thickness.

Ryzen 5600x, RTX 3060ti equipped in a 4L case sounds so appealing to try and build ha ha ha... would be a huge step up from my i7-6700k and GTX 1080 in 12L.

Last edited:
200W and such a small heatsink doesn't seem to be a particulalry desirable combination. At least it could be thick (EVGA used to have such a desing), but this doesn't seem to be...so heat dissipation area is small, which must be compensated by a lot of moving air (or worse: throttling), so I vision loud fan noise in this card's future. Well, we will see once it hits the shelves (hopefully it actually will hit the shelves)

It's really saddening seeing such a little card outperforming my $500 dollar huge 2070 from MSI. Technology isn't fair sometimes :'(

200W and such a small heatsink doesn't seem to be a particulalry desirable combination. At least it could be thick (EVGA used to have such a desing), but this doesn't seem to be...so heat dissipation area is small, which must be compensated by a lot of moving air (or worse: throttling), so I vision loud fan noise in this card's future. Well, we will see once it hits the shelves (hopefully it actually will hit the shelves)

I'm on my first mini form factor GPU (a Zotac RTX 2060 Super Mini). Purchased it with quite a bit of concern over heat dissipation and noise. Turns out these concerns were completely unfounded. It has very good temps (even in summer with a/c off and 33 celsius room temperature), and it's the quietest gaming video card I've ever owned, even under load.

Maybe I've just hit the jackpot, but my next video card will probably be a mini / micro model as well.

I'm on my first mini form factor GPU (a Zotac RTX 2060 Super Mini). Purchased it with quite a bit of concern over heat dissipation and noise. Turns out these concerns were completely unfounded. It has very good temps (even in summer with a/c off and 33 celsius room temperature), and it's the quietest gaming video card I've ever owned, even under load.

Maybe I've just hit the jackpot, but my next video card will probably be a mini / micro model as well.

Ok all I have to says is you wait until its over 91 degrees in the house to turn on the AC? Yikes lol! :D

Ok all I have to says is you wait until its over 91 degrees in the house to turn on the AC? Yikes lol! :D

I have allergies and rhynitis so AC isn't good for me and I hold off until the heat becomes unbearable to turn it on. I do have very good, large desk and ceiling fans, so I only turn the AC on when they start blowing hot air and making me feel like I'm in a convection oven. :joy:

Back