MSI is allegedly dropping the price of some RTX 3000-series cards

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: It’s hard not to feel depressed by the constant news of graphics cards becoming more expensive and harder to find, so here’s a more uplifting report: MSI is allegedly set to reduce the price of some of its RTX 3000 line—by almost $100 in the case of the RTX 3080.

The claim comes from the Board Channels forum (via VideoCardz), which has proved reliable on previous occasions but should still be taken with a healthy dose of salt. According to the machine-translated post, the MSI graphics card factory has adjusted the price of some Ampere cards this month.

The most significant change will allegedly be on mid- to high-specification models of MSI’s RTX 3080 and 3080 Ti cards; they’re reduced by 300 to 600 yuan ($47 to $94). The rest of the line isn’t going to be that much cheaper: the RTX 3070/Ti prices are dropping by 100 to 300 RMB ($16 to $31), and the RTX 3060/Ti are down 100 to 200 RMB ($15 to $31). The only card that won’t see any price alterations is the RTX 3090.

While that all sounds good, assuming it’s true, the post starts by saying that some of MSI’s RTX 3000 products have actually increased in price this month. The same user also reports that Sapphire has made its AMD RX 6000 series more expensive, adding $80 to the cost of the RX 6900, $63 to the 6600XT, and $55 to the RX 6600. The increase lines up with a recent report of AMD adding 10% to the price of its RDNA 2 GPUs after manufacturer TSMC raised costs.

Graphics card prices and availability have worsened in recent months following a brief period where things were starting to look up. Much of the problem stems from the global chip shortage, which Nvidia believes will alleviate next year. We’ve also heard that Nvidia and Zotac are urging the government to drop Trump-era China tariffs on cards. Let’s hope it makes a difference.

Permalink to story.

Raising or dropping the price of non-existing products :D

I've seen these at Microcenter...with tremendous markups.

Black Friday, saw a full restocking for anyone who bothered to wait on line, but there were more than enough overpriced 3080Ti, 3080, 3070Ti, 3070, 3060 and AMD Red Devil cards if you were willing to pay the scalper's ransom.

$10-95 off, it's not really going to make it to the consumer, at least not anytime soon.

This is true for a couple of reasons:
1) retailers will keep prices where they are to make more money
2) cards are so hard to come by most people won't see one anyway

They are trolling us, clearly.

It's blatantly obvious at this point that these companies don't make graphics cards for mainstream consumers any more. That isn't their target demographic and probably never will be again.

The shortage in the market has nothing to do with Trump era policies, so quit being a leftist magazine and keep your hate for trump out of it. China started the trade deficit problem, and shortage is due to big buyers doing crypto farms buying gpus in bulk and leaving nothing for the small gamer.

I'm not entirely convinced MSI's crap is even worth buying, at any price. At best they're a third tier supplier.

When they re-released the GT-730 (2 GB), I quick grabbed one for my erotica hunting XP machine, fifty bucks. Quite a deal, I thought to myself.

Put it in, worked, flashed on and off to black, and then a hard crash. Put in a GT-710, that worked fine. So, given that the 710 draws 20 watts and the 730 draws 50, I reasoned that the old Antec EA-380 might have lost some of its spunk over the 10 years it had served. I bought an EVGA 510 watt on sale, put it in, and fired it up. The video card lasted through the BIOS poll, and then black screened, never to be seen again.

So what have I learned? That those old Antec "Earthwatts",PSUs, have longer lives than the "Energizer Bunny". It's a shame they're discontinued.

EPILOGUE: Before I'm subjected to scornful comments about my wimpy video cards, I'm well aware they won't run "Crysis". I just wanted to extend the Vram in the machine. :p.

It's amazing, TSMC raises GPU die prices by 10%
From $50.00 to $55.00 per die, in return AMD raises
It's chipset prices (packaged die plus gddr6 rams) from
150.00 to 200.00 even though they only saw an $5.00 true increase. Of course the card manufactures will raise their prices from 1000.00 to 1200.00 greed at its best.

I feel MSI may have priced themselves out of the market in the first place. Comparing prices of the big 3, Asus, MSI And Gigabyte, I generally find MSI cards more expensive than competitors. Usually it is Asus with the Asus tax that makes their products quite a fair bit more expensive. But with the shortage, I am seeing since the start of this year, MSI cards are approaching if not overtaken Asus in terms of pricing. And my observation is based on cards that are sold at a reasonable price on Amazon.

It's blatantly obvious at this point that these companies don't make graphics cards for mainstream consumers any more. That isn't their target demographic and probably never will be again.

And no one is advocating for us either.

The shortage in the market has nothing to do with Trump era policies, so quit being a leftist magazine and keep your hate for trump out of it. China started the trade deficit problem, and shortage is due to big buyers doing crypto farms buying gpus in bulk and leaving nothing for the small gamer.

Yes and no.

You’re right about the crypto farms and wrong about the Trump era economics. I work in the Semiconductor business. A computer chip fab near Albany, NY. I specifically work on the CVD portion of chip creation. We’ve had issues for a few years in obtaining supplies from overseas and it has hurt our ability to produce. For a time, the tariffs also hurt the number of orders coming in from our customers.

We produce chips for other companies. Prior to the pandemic, we were forecasting a slow year because the tariffs were hurting trade and our customers were expecting to produce fewer items/require fewer chips. Nevermind the supply chain….

Starting almost immediately from the implementation of the Trump tariffs, we had a harder time getting adequate supplies from overseas. Our CEO and managers LOVE the Trump admin policies on taxing, labor, etc… and even they have been steadily b*tching about the tariffs and their impact on supply lines (made even worse afterwards, by Covid). Though we aren’t in your precious GPU. We’re just making chips for your cell phone, modem, car, hospitals, and the military. All really important areas that his tariff policy hurt.

Last edited:

Yet they wouldn't be where they are without us. This is how they treat us.

I'm going to wait until a 3080 is worth only $200. The scalpers will be forced to sell them at a loss. Or they'll be stuck with them.
They can rot. They'll learn the hard way that they can't do such ridiculous bs.

Back