MSI MS-6577 mobo HT compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklord

I want to upgrade my CPU from a 2.8 GHz Celeron to a 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 HT, and I need to know if this mobo will support Hyper Threading technology. HP website does not state it does and there is no option in my BIOS screen to enable Hyper Threading technology. I didn't know if that option would show up only if a HT enabled CPU was installed or not. My mobo is a MSI MS-6577 and I would love to get a new mobo but reinstallation of Windows may not be feasible as it is tucked away in a hard drive partition, factory access only(thanks HP). If anyone knows if my current mobo is compatible with hyper threading or where I can look to verify this myself as a Google search was fruitless, I would be very grateful. Thank you all for reading this.

It seems it could run a Pentium-4 but not of the HT variety. I'm not even sure if it would run a CPU with a 133MHz (533) FSB.

This is from the HP website, manufacturer of the store bought PC I own and the stock MS-6577 in my PC. This info indicates to me , that a 533 FSB CPU is usable, over the 400 FSB CPU that comes with the PC. I'm thinking I'm going to put a 3.2 Celeron D in, instead of a 3.06 Pentium 4 HT because 1) I can't take advantage of hyper threading 2) the only advantage the Pentium has over the Celeron on my mobo is 256MB worth of L2 Cache. 3) Celeron has .14 Ghz speed advantage 4) Celeron is cheaper. Any arguments for the Pentium, anyone out there? Thank you all again

CPU
* Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors
* 1.4GHZ to 2.8GHz or higher

Intel 845GV Chipset
* FSB 400/533
* Multiplexed AGP interface
* Integrated 3D/2D graphic core
* Supports DDR 333/266/200 memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back