MSI tweets that the Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti's price isn't "as bad as a RTX 4080"

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! How do you know if your graphics cards are too expensive? When AIB partners take public jabs at their high prices. MSI Gaming USA took the opportunity to highlight Nvidia's questionable Lovelace pricing by posting a now-deleted tweet for the RTX 4070 Ti, boasting that the recently launched card's cost is not as bad as an RTX 4080.

Nvidia has lost a lot of love following the launch of Ada Lovelace. The RTX 4080 16GB's $1,200 price tag is so high that scalpers struggling to make a resale profit have been returning them. Then there was the $900 RTX 4080 12GB debacle that saw the card "unlaunched" before arriving last week in its new guise: the RTX 4070 Ti.

Nvidia knocked $100 off the price of the RTX 4070 Ti, pushing it down to $800, but we said in our review that it shouldn't have an MSRP of more than $700. Furthermore, the lack of Founders Edition cards and the fact this is only Nvidia's recommendation means few models can be found at this price.

One add-in board partner selling the RTX 4070 Ti is MSI. It sent out a tweet on Saturday announcing that the card was now available for purchase from its online store. The company gushed that buyers could experience the power of Ada Lovelace at a cost of "not as bad as a [sic] RTX 4080."

MSI does have a point. The cheapest RTX 4080 card in its store right now is the Ventus 3X OC, priced $50 more than MSRP at $1,249, while the most expensive is the $1,379.99 Gaming X Trio. The company is selling one RTX 4070 Ti at the $799 MSRP, while the most expensive model is the Suprim X for $949.

VideoCardz notes that the tweet didn't stay up long before it was deleted, possibly at the request of Nvidia, who's unlikely to have found it funny, but the site was able to capture the post for all to see.

Make sure to check out our reviews of the RTX 4080 and the RTX 4070 Ti.

Permalink to story.

I'm not impressed by prices from GPUs this gen. I don't care what MSI/Zotac/ASUS or any other company that sells GPUs tells us about them. They're overpriced as all get out and I'll just stick with my Ampere card for a long while.

On a side note:

Word is, the guy that supports MSI Afterburner, the software development is now going into limbo due to nonpayment from MSI over the past year due to issues caused by the Russian/Ukraine war.

Anyone that enjoys the use of MSI Afterburner, as of right now, it looks like we won't be seeing any updates for a while (if ever). You can read more about it on TPU.

I'm not impressed by prices from GPUs this gen. I don't care what MSI/Zotac/ASUS or any other company that sells GPUs tells us about them. They're overpriced as all get out and I'll just stick with my Ampere card for a long while.

On a side note:

Word is, the guy that supports MSI Afterburner, the software development is now going into limbo due to nonpayment from MSI over the past year due to issues caused by the Russian/Ukraine war.

Anyone that enjoys the use of MSI Afterburner, as of right now, it looks like we won't be seeing any updates for a while (if ever). You can read more about it on TPU.

While MSI are hypocrites for still selling their hardware in Russia, encouraging them to break embargoes by going around them is morally and legally wrong. And for a Taiwanese company to do it, well... could end up badly and them forced to not pay him.

unwinder seems to have working on it as his only source of income. If so, he can work on it anywhere in the world. How about he leaves Russia and can then get paid?

Of course you would say something like that MSI.

We all know that you are in a test period under Dear Leader Jensen to become the new EVGA.

They are implying that RTX 4080 prices are "bad" which they absolutely are but it's funny even they admit it. They are also implying RTX 4070 Ti price could've been worse which is comical. Mid-range products should always have a better price-to-performance ratio compared to high-end ones.

I think MSI was trying be satirical as they don't get control over setting the price of the hardware itself. I also don't think it's that bad of a price if it can beat a 3090Ti. 3080 prices will have to significantly come down too. 4080 won't be able to hold at 1200 if they have any inventory whatsoever. I wish it was cheaper but we have inflation factors and years of this sort of price sliding. I also wonder if scalpers have had an impact on inflated MSRPs which would cause the manufactures to keep prices at the edge of the consumer comfort zone to reduce scalper margins and make a few extra bucks. Hey, at least it's not $900 (but it likely will be with vender cooling options, branding and tax).

The holidays are over. PC sales have tanked. Let's see how long these GPUs remain at these prices. You can easily get a 4080 or 4070 Ti right now. Best Buy and Newegg both have stock, which means Microcenters must be flooded with them. I suspect that by the end of the first quarter you'll start to see below MSRP prices on all but the 4090.

I think MSI was trying be satirical as they don't get control over setting the price of the hardware itself. I also don't think it's that bad of a price if it can beat a 3090Ti. 3080 prices will have to significantly come down too. 4080 won't be able to hold at 1200 if they have any inventory whatsoever. I wish it was cheaper but we have inflation factors and years of this sort of price sliding. I also wonder if scalpers have had an impact on inflated MSRPs which would cause the manufactures to keep prices at the edge of the consumer comfort zone to reduce scalper margins and make a few extra bucks. Hey, at least it's not $900 (but it likely will be with vender cooling options, branding and tax).
I think MSI is trying to sell 4070Tis. And it is a terrible price when even 2014-18 GPUs can run current games fine medium to high settings @1080/1440p.

I think MSI is trying to sell 4070Tis. And it is a terrible price when even 2014-18 GPUs can run current games fine medium to high settings @1080/1440p.

Indeed, I can run Metro Exodus on Ultra using 4790 + 1660 Super! And I am supposed to shell out $800+ for NGreedia's cheapest card!

How dare they use word 'bad' or even 'not as bad' in context of products, both of which have been rated at 80/100 by Techspot I.e. declared to be excellent products.
I am livid, I say, livid!

Yea those scores are hella weird o.o a ‘good’ product seems to get an automatic 95/100… while ‘fairly terrible’ is an 80.

You want cheaper video card prices? Stop buying them at the current ridiculous levels. If no one buys these cards for six months they'll be discounting them like crazy.
meh, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will buy those cards anyway, mainly either due to work, or "mEh fAnbOYing".

Well, at least they seem to be self aware enough for how absurd the price is, unlike with Nvidia who actually dictates those prices. Once again, EVGA's decision is proven to be the right decision.

Back