MSI X58 Pro E vs Intel DX58SO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I am building a new i7 rig. Till about yesterday I was about to go with the MSI X58 Pro E mobo, but after having read a few reviews about Intel's performance I am a little confused.

The MSI Comes for a lot cheaper than the Intel and thats why I decided to go for it. I also read reviews about MSI here on techspot and was quite impressed.

My question is: Which one to go for?

By Price: MSI
Performance: I am not sure which outperforms the other.
Any other issues: ??

All in all which one would be the best choice?...Can any of you help me out with my decision?...

Lets keep the performance issues aside for a moment (although I think MSI may probably win).

If considering the build/components quality/reliability I'd prefer Intel motherboard over the others, i can give you example of longevity of Intel boards; once upon a time, long long ago, in the previous century .... i bought about few dozen Pentium IIs with 440BX motherboards, and they are still running alright. !! ;)

Intel boards work. If nothing else they do what they're designed to do.
The DX58SO is the most mature desktop LGA1366 board around and while it's about as exciting as Sunday lunch with the in-laws, they seldom fail. Strangely, the Intel is not an all solid capacitor board despite being the flagship offering from Intel, at least in desktop.
If you're planning an oveclocking adventure then the MSI board will be the choice. It's BIOS is more flexible and offers a greater range of user control, and that probably shows up in overclocking tests conducted around the web.
Stock performance from virtually any X58 board is fairly similar. What differs in the connectivity, the PCI/PCIe slot arrangements regarding expandibility, overclocking ability (power delivery to CPU, RAM as well as BIOS parameters), warranty and support.
So, with all that in mind. If your using the board solely with stock parameters then I'd go Intel. If you plan on a little (or lot) of tweaking then the MSI is definitely going to offer more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back