Msvcr71.dll and msacm32.drv

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm872110

Sorry if this is the wrong board for this, but AVG keeps informing me that these two files are a threat. It tells me of 'msvcr71.dll' whenever I try to update its virus definitions. I just noticed 'msacm32.drv' when I loaded this web page through Firefox. I just reinstalled Windows XP, and I really don't think that these files are anything to worry about. Is there a known reason as to why this occurs, and is there any way of stopping it? Thanks in advance for any help!

HighjackThis Instructions

• Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in its own folder, usually C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis. Please don't change the directory as it is necessary to create backups.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete attach the log into your reply.

Do not attempt to fix any item yet.

Do not add anything to the ignore list.

Don't use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.

It tells me of 'msvcr71.dll' whenever I try to update its virus definitions. I just noticed 'msacm32.drv' when I loaded this web page through Firefox.
Reinstalling Windows would not be indicated for this. Both are legitimate files, but it is known that malware can disguise itself as almost any file. "it tells me" is most likely informing you that the files is missing or corrupt.

msvcr71.dll belongs to the Microsoft Visual C Runtime library version 7.1 engine: See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00827073.aspx

msacm32.drv is a process info for Microsoft Sound Mapper. It is a part of Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

One cause can be 'Adobe Flash No Sound WaveMapper': See the section Flash No Sound WaveMapper Solution here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/15/adobe-flash-no-sound-wavemapper-trick/

Please look for any Error in the Event Viewer that correspond to the time you get the message about either of these files. Hopefully that will give us the information to find the cause and resolution:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr
Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)
Please ignore Warnings and Information Events. You do not need to include the lines of code- if ny-in the box below the Description. Please do not paste the entire Event Log.

Getting a message about either of these files when attempting to update your virus definitions could be just that the files are needed for the update and are missing or corrupt. OR it could be an indication of the presence of malware. Please check the information on both of these sites, follow the suggestions and post back here.

Also to get some more info,

FileFind
Download FileFind by Atribune and unzip it to your Desktop.
  • Double click on FileFind.exe to open the programme.
  • Enter msvcr71.dll into the File: box.
  • Click on the Search button.
  • After a while a list of file locations will appear in the List of Files: box.
  • Click on the Export button.

Do the same for msacm32.drv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back