Multiple bluescreens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mist

Hey Techspot, my computer has been having problems and bluescreens for as long as I can remember, I don't know what's causing this as the error message I recieve usually changes each time. I downloaded some debugging tools and the symbols package from Microsoft to try and isolate my problem but it didn't help. I'm hoping somebody here could help me figuring out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Mini052610-01.zip
    169.8 KB · Views: 5
Your issue is corrupted memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

I appreciate your reply, unfortunatley I haven't gotten around to running Memtest yet since I've been away. I just had another Bluescreen but when I looked at in Windows Debugger it said it was probably caused by a system file.

Attachments

• Mini061910-01.zip
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
The error is 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related.

It only cited a Windows OS driver which are too general for diagnostic purposes.

* See my previous instructions.

I've just finished running Memtest and the results were 9 passes 0 errors. So I guess I have the settings wrong somewhere. I believe the correct settings for my RAM are 5-5-5-15 and 1.8V, but where in the BIOS would I go to check this?

I looked around in Everest, would any of this help?

BIOS Type: AMI
BIOS Version: 080015
AGESA Version: 3.3.2.0
System BIOS Date: 03/10/10
Video BIOS Date: 04/07/10
Company Name: American Megatrends INC.

Just had another Bluescreen, this time the error message was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Attachments

• Mini062210-01.zip
    43.2 KB · Views: 2
Your error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

* The driver cited as the cause of your crashes is the ATI driver ati3duag.dll.

So...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

*** Also, concerning your BIOS. See this link and identify for us your motherboard: http://www.ami.com/support/bios.cfm And then link us to your motherboard or if possible the manual for it.

I ran the AMI Motherboard Identification Utility from that site and I have attached my results to the .txt. file below. As for the drivers I actually installed a new video card this time last week doing the steps exactly as you described them? But I guess getting the new 10.6 drivers couldn't hurt. Also this is my motherboard:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=362

Attachments

• RESULTS.TXT
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
Just had another bluescreen, this time when installing an update for Firefox.

Attachments

• Mini062310-01.zip
    39.2 KB · Views: 1
Another 0x1A error citing memory corruption.

Mist, I found the BIOS manual to your motherboard thanks to the link you gave. I will attempt some time tonight to read through it to see how we can access your BIOS setting of your voltage for the memory and if it is correct.

You should have a manual yourself. If not it is in PDF format from theat link you gave us. You want the BIOS one.

I found some information about Voltage and the RAM on page 29 of the BIOS manual, but it only says how to put the voltage higher?

Hi, Mist. Sorry for the delay in reading but life really made some demands on me lately. I just read the manual and according to the information the default voltage setting of your motherboard is 1.95 and like you I have not seen the option on how to lower the volatge to your RAM's spec of 1.8v.

Since there is such a discrepency from what the mobo sets the voltage and the RAM designed voltage there is little wonder you are getting memory issues without corrupted memory as the cause.

Here is what I would do: Contact your motherboard and memory maker tech support. Let both know the issue you are running into. For the mobo ask them if there is any way to lower the voltage of the memory in the BIOS to 1.8v.

For the memory maker tell them of your motherboard, the default voltage set by this motherboard and what you can, should do.

Please keep us updated.

It's probably no surprise but I had yet another Bluescreen, related to Memory Management as usual. This time it gave me a little more information saying I should try disabling Caching or Shadowing? Anyway here's the log.

Attachments

• Mini062810-01.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 1
I just had two more bluescreens in the space of two hours. One was ati3duag.dll and the other was dxg.sys. Somebody told me I could create a new partition on my hard drive and reinstall my OS on that partition keeping everything on my HDD without the need to lose it. Do you think this would work? Also I'm planning on buying new RAM, should I make sure it's minimum 1.9v?

Another 0x1A with memory corruption as the issue. What has Biostar said about the possibility of setting the RAM to 1.8v. Is it possible with a BIOS update?

In the BIOS you can disable caching/shadowing.

If you are going to buy new RAM because Biostar has no way of setting your current memory to 1.8v then make sure your memory works with your mobo AND that it is at the voltage the motherboard is designed for.

*** Also: Please link us to your motherboard and memory.

Is that memory supported by your motherboard?

Also, what part of the world do you live?

Before making any move let's see what Biostar has to say.

The memory isn't in the list on Biostars website but I've been told it should work, and I am from the UK. Someone just informed me they think the Hard Drive may be the cause of all this, do you think this is possible? Also if the new RAM doesn't solve anything I'm just going to format and hope for the best.

I am trying to figure out how a harddrive issue is giving you memory issues; in other words, how does this person logically conclude this?

We know that a) you are getting continuous memory corrupt reads though memory itself probably isn't corrupted, b) that your motherboard according to the manual and BIOS has your RAM set to the wrong voltage because of the motherboard voltage specs, and c) your RAM is designed for 1.8v but your motherboard's default voltage is 1.95 and, yes, that will cause memory issues.

You could run a harddrive diagnostics by using the harddrive manufacture's free harddrive diagnostic utility.

I think my desktop has had it, I'm having to type this from my laptop. I booted up my desktop and was greeted to a 6 minute boot, once I had successfully entered Windows a pop-up appeared telling me that "The system has recovered from a serious error" I dismissed this pop-up by clicking do not send, but then it came up again. I kept clicking do not send until I finally caved in and sent an error report, but then it popped up yet again. No matter what I did I could not get rid of the window. Also my desktop now has a serious delay doing anything, opening a window, right clicking or even moving the mouse will cause the computer to become unresponive for a good 30 seconds or so.

If that error report pops up again tell us what it says, i.e. what does it poit to as the problem.

This sounds like a different problem now. Find the make of your harddrive. Go to the manufacture's site and get their harddrive diagnostic utility and burn it to a CD using your laptop. Place it in your desktop DVD drive and reboot. It should take over without having to load to Windows.

I'm on my desktop now finding out what make my hard drive is, as for the error message it hasn't appeared again. I'm just checking Event Viewer and I have a lot of errors relating to my hard drive. The painful unresponsiveness is still here.

untitled5.jpg

UPDATE: I've ran the tests on Seatools and these are my results:

S.M.A.R.T. Check - Passed
Short Drive Self Test - Failed
Long Drive Self Test - Failed
Short Generic - Failed
Long Generic - Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back