Multiply Unknown Process on Task Manager

Is that iexplore.exe normal? I never saw it before it shown up last night
and I never use internet explorer ever.
I suspect that was virus

Having IE active is (unfortunately) quite normal. One reason is some non-IE browsers use IE internal routines, another is that links on websites sometimes start IE because they are written that way - either because they assume only IE is active, or require IE for certain functionality, or they are actually malware.

Why don't you open task manager and just kill all the IE processes. Then continue to watch task manager without actually using any browser. If IE restarts by itself, then you may start worrying.

This link http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-client/6c85ea38-e236-42b4-8c02-ea425d5658dc is also worrying. There are 11 pages of comments on it, and opinion is pretty divided to say the least.

Last edited:
I have that, "wisptis.exe" as highlighted in the first line of your Task Manager Processes screen shot as well. I can't locate it via a myriad of utilities including Autoruns, Process Explorer, msconfig, WinPatrol, etc. Right now, I just right click this and End Process during my initial daily review of my Task Manager every day that I start my PC.

In terms of unwanted auto-start processes like, "iexplore.exe", try going to MS Services, highlighting, then right-clicking, and opening Properties for the Internet Explorer name and set the Start-Up Type to Manual. I have actually set mine to "Disable" and haven't had any problems with that yet, but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend that necessarily to everyone. I have set a relatively large number of Start-Up services to Disabled and/or Manual via a more tedious process of searching for which ones I can do that with as well as by a trial-and-error method.

I look forward to any potential guru to come on here and have solutions and/or advice for better and more efficient methods to managing these Processes, many of which seem to have a mind of their own...

Last edited:
Back