Multitude of problems with a compaq notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

Well I didn't know where to post this because I have a feeling that it's a number of problems that's crippling my laptop.

It's a Compaq Presario V6000TX. 2.0 ghz dual core, 1 gig ram, and 90 gig hd. The rest, I can't tell you because I have no idea where to look! I also have a 12 cell lithium battery, which I'm not sure is part of the problem.

So what's going on is I bought this thing in September. I believe it was in February that I had what appeared to be a RTC battery failure. HP sent me a new one, and that did not fix the problem. I sent my laptop to them for repair and I had to have my system board replaced. Not only that, but it also turned out that there appeared to be so much heat that my bottom panel had begun to warp and my battery release had fused to the point where I could not release the battery.

When I got it back I began having this weird problem. Every so often all processing stops. I can open the start menu, but can't click on anything to open it. I can open up firefox and/or ie, but trying to go anywhere results in me ending up with the page being blank and "done" on the status bar.

At first I thought it was a heating issue, so I changed the way I used my laptop. No more sitting with it rested on a pillow in my lap. I always have it sitting on a portable table or my desk. Since my battery is so large, it leaves the laptop with the back area elevated. This helped for a while, but then I began having the same issue whether or not my laptop was too hot. The ONLY way to make it work again is to restart my machine. Letting it go into standby by closing the lid did not help.

And finally, I've gotten two blue screens. Windows restarts itself way before I can finish reading it. As far as I can get is "Windows has encountered an error and must restart. If this is your first time seeing this message..." I tried checking the event viewer, but I really don't know what I'm looking for as far as an error is concerned.

I guess it's important to mention that shortly before I began getting the blue screens I had to roll back windows media player from 11 to 10 so my (stupid) Creative Zen MicroPhoto would actually be recognized by windows. I'm not sure if this has angered the sentient and sickly being that my laptop is.

So I guess my question is, what's causing these problems? :( I think it's stupid that I've had to send in a laptop that's under a year old back to HP three times only to be told that it's fine.

If your laptop is covered by a warranty, use HP for support. Perhaps the tech will decide that laptop is a lemon or it is no longer repairable.

If the Events Viewer log has reports preceding the crash/hang, that type of info influences how to attack the problem.

This post in 'Guides & Solved Issues' is a general approach to follow.

overheating can cause serious damage to components. Never rest a laptop on a blanket or pillow. Some batteries produce a lot of heat when charging. You may need to check your ram with memtest 86+ booted from a CD for at least 7 passes. If there is CPU damage, your best best is to replace the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back