Inactive My browser's been hijacked. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneSword

Let's start from the beginning.

Several months ago, I had finally gotten high-speed internet, and I bought a router as well as a wireless adapter for my old 2002(ish) Gateway desktop. The poor old girl needed an upgrade to Windows XP SP2 before I could even use Wi-Fi, which took me some time to even figure out. Finally, I had gotten it up and running, and started surfing the web. Not 15 minutes later, however, the internet would suddenly come to a screeching halt. I had puzzled over this for days. No matter what I did, the internet would work for a maximum of 15 minutes, and then cop out again, never returning to functionality until I reinstalled the driver software.

Finally, one jobeard here on TS had me ping google.com. Here were the results:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [209.85.225.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.225.147: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.85.225.147: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.85.225.147: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=52
Reply from 209.85.225.147: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 209.85.225.147:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 33ms

His reply then being:

"That's not GOOGLE

Checking IP: 209.85.225.147...
Name: iy-in-f147.1e100.net
IP: 209.85.225.147
Domain: 1e100.net

you have a hijacked browser or DNS."

So here I am, on my laptop, wondering what I should do about this. I'm totally unsure of what the next step is. I've tried the 8 steps that are recommended at the top of this board, but it's doing nothing for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just came back to the board and saw your plea!. I will have you do the steps in the thread, but do the following first: And thanks to jobeard for giving us a start!

If you can print out the following, it will make it easier for you to follow. There are several steps that must be done in order, but they are not difficult!

You will need to do a DNS Flush, then reset your router.
Start> Run> type cmd> enter> at the C prompt type ipconfig /flushdns (note space before the /)

Exit the Command prompt when finished and shut the system down.-

• [1]. Shut down your computer, and any other computer connected to your router.
    [2]. On the back of the router, there should be a small hole or button labelled RESET. Using a bent paper clip or similar item, hold that in continuously for twenty seconds.
    [3]. Unplug the router. Wait sixty seconds.
    [4].Now holding again the reset button, plug it back in. Continue holding the reset button for twenty seconds. Unplug the router again.
    [5].With the router unplugged, start your computer.
    [6].Connect to the router again. The turn the router back on.
    [7].When it stabilizes, reboot your workstation and try to access the internet. If you have any issues, access the Router configuration page and re-enter your authentication information.
    [8]. Reboot the system and test the internet. You may have to reconfigure the router settings based on your setup.
=========================================
After that has been done, try running Malwarebytes first, and paste the log in your next reply:

malwarebytesgc8.png

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from from HERE
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    [o] Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    [o] and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick scan, then click Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. please attach this log with your reply
    [o] If you accidentally close it, the log file is saved here and will be named like this:
    [o] C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-date (time).txt
========================
When there has bee a DSN Changer, the above has to be done first. Then you should be able to get on with the remaining scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back