My computer fell, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 30 minutes ago, my computer had a pretty hard fall off a 3-4 foot drop, it was a pretty loud crash. Immediately I tried to turn it on again, and it did a "disk check". After that it just sort of got frozen. So i turned it off, turned it back on, and everything seemed to be running normal, for about 10 minutes. Then it just turned off. I turned it back on, and i had even less time that time around, as eventually it turned off again. And it was making some sort of Clicking sound while it was on...

I have a panel on the bottom of the back of my computer, and im 95% sure there is a unplugged cord there that wasn't there before, I am thinking something got displaced or fell off in the crash, but i am not sure.

I unplugged it, and opened up the panel, but i know nothing about computers...I am waiting for my brother to get home to take a look at it. But for now. Does anyone know anything i can do or any help they can offer on what is going on?

The computer turns on, then will just turn off a few minutes later, without any warning.

And it doesn't turn off until a little after that.

IF it is my Cooling system, which might be the case, how can i confirm this?

HeLP PLEASE!

EDIT: Nothing seems to be broken inside the Computer, but there are a few uplugged cords...

i turned it on with the panel open, and both fans seem to be working..

inside the computer, and on the like strip of plastic matirial that goes from the driver i guess, to all the computer chips and what not, it seems a little rough on one spot near the fan, could the crash have possibly caused it to damage the strip thingy?

If you know what the CPU heatsink and fan look like and where they are located, I would check to see if they didn't get knocked loose. The fan electrical connector could still be connected and the running fan might be hitting something. The unplugged cords could be just unused power supply connectors.

If you aren't very familiar with the insides of the PC, I don't know if it would be a good idea to muck around inside since you could do more harm than good. An accurate diagnosis of what is wrong with the PC is very difficult to give from this side of the internet without seeing the insides ourselves.

mailpup said:
If you know what the CPU heatsink and fan look like and where they are located, I would check to see if they didn't get knocked loose. The fan electrical connector could still be connected and the running fan might be hitting something. The unplugged cords could be just unused power supply connectors.

If you aren't very familiar with the insides of the PC, I don't know if it would be a good idea to muck around inside since you could do more harm than good. An accurate diagnosis of what is wrong with the PC is very difficult to give from this side of the internet without seeing the insides ourselves.

yea, i let my brother look around, and he plugged in one of the cords that may have gotten knocked out. And said it came from the power button or something so that was probably the problem.

I am surprised thats all the damage that was done, it was a pretty loud crash, although i couldn't see it, because it happened like this: I scooted my chair out to get up, the chair caught the power cord, which caught my leg, tripping me as i was in the motion to walk away, and the computer (i guess) went toppling head first into the carpet. thank god nothing broke...

Yes, you were lucky that's all it was. It could have been much worse, plus you came away unscathed as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back