My computer is connected to my router but I can't use the Internet!

Now this has been going on for months and months! I've now had enough! I've spent too much money trying to fix this! From what I can gather, my computer doesn't recieve either ip4 or ip6 connectivity! I've resorted to using a power line adapter which worked for ONE day! After that it stopped working and now I can't use the Internet agian? My computer works fine, everything works and I've ha no troubles other than this! Please help me! I have got no other solution!

Please provide some more information:
Router information: Make and Model?
What Operating System are you using?
What is the connection type to the router (Ethernet or Wireless)?
What supplies your internet (Cable / Fiber Optic / DSL / etc)?
Is the router also a modem that supplies the internet connection?
Have you tried to hook a different computer to your router to see if you can re-produce the same results?

It's a TalkTalk model! And it supports wireless as well as wired! My operating system is Windows 7 64bit. As of now I am using a hybrid between wired and wireless! A power line adapter! And yes other laptops in my family are able to connect perfectly fine!

Moderator note: I suggest that you sign in under your TechSpot username instead of just replying as "Guest" to avoid any confusion as to who is replying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem solving is as complicated as the setup being evaluated, so K.I.S.S (keep it simple &stupid).

Wifi is more difficult than wired, SO - -

start with this IPS==Modem/Router--wired--PC and we can test the TCP setup which is a requirement for browsers and everything else.

get a command prompt and enter
  1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. nslookup 8.8.8.8
(1) should return timing data
(2) should return the domain name

Browsers typically fail because (2) false to convert a name to an address

Back