My computer is not showing drives in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have windows xp. when i open my computer, it does not show drives, but if i do scan then it shows drives, but after sometime, it shows a data error message.

I really think that you need to provide more detailed information to recieve any kind of useful help awahab79.

For a start, what do you mean when you say drives? Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Flash Drives?

awahab79 said:
i have windows xp. when i open my computer, it does not show drives, but if i do scan then it shows drives, but after sometime, it shows a data error message.

I am shore he is reffering to Hard Drives

drive means hard drive, i have 2 partitions, but both partitions are not viewable. i cant access them by My Computer, Explorer, even by command prompt. but windows is working properly.

Have the partitions been formatted?

Do they show up in Disk Management?

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Below I attached a reg file I use to fix this type of problem 1 out of 20 computers will not get fix with this file just double click it select yes then ok and reboot also you may want to change the IDE cable

Attachments

• CD Rom not showing..zip
    584 bytes · Views: 10
Yes but that's for CD (just like I thought)

Try going to Device Manager:
Start-->Run-->devmgmt.msc
Click on the + sign to expand IDE ATA Controllers
Right click on your ATA Controllers and select uninstall (note: this does not hurt your data)
Restart
Allow Windows to find and install your ATA Controllers again (basically the HardDrive)

Open My Computer and confirm you see your HardDrive and partitions.

If that doesn't help, you may want to do a full updated Spyware scan, or Antivirus updated scan.

If that doesn't help, consider replacing the IDE cable

I opened it before, I had to re-open it to copy the below:
Use this when a CD-Rom drive is not working properly

Also I have set all my reg files to open with Notepad (just in case)

awahab79 said:

is it fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back