My computer just stopped reading my hard drive today, what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
see above, i have 2 200gb internal hard drives in a lacie external case, is there a program that can help, i have i lot of data that would realy be a bummer if i lost it
please help!

You are going to have real trouble with a LaCie external drive. They are famous for their failures.
I would be it in another USB enclosure that has a separate power adapter, then not turn it off until you have made many attempts.
The problem with those drives is that one or more of the chips on the back goes dead... or the system board.
But if it is not the board, you can usually recover the data as long as the bearings are turning.
As for programs, you must find a way to get it detected, then do NOT turn it off again... There is a decent program we like called Recuva. And many others at www.majorgeeks.com that can rescue most data... if the drive will turn, and if the chip or system board is not bad.

it powers on , but the drive wont even appear inside of my computer, it is drive(f) on my comp, and i have a second lacie with the same setup 2 200gb hd and i found it and pluged it in and it reads, so i hope the prog you told me about will work, thank you and i will post with my progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back