My computer restarts when i play games

Smoxshirt

Please help! my computer randomly restarts when I'm playing games. This happens only when I play heavy games like skyrim. I've read a lot from forums recently and tried multiple things to fix it but the trouble won't go away! I've installed latest drivers, checked for viruses, cleaned computer from dust, troubleshooted, checked Bios and checked temperatures. The temperatures are normal even when I am gaming, so it's not overheating. But when the computer chrashes a black screen pops up and a strange noise comes up. I am not sure if my PSU is correct strength for my computer now that I have recently vought new GPU,CPU, RAM and motherboard.

My PC specs are:

Intel core i7/4790k 4.00ghz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX980
8gb ram
1tb hdd
ASUS motherboard Z97-A
PSU Corsair 650w

here are my voltages. http://i60.tinypic.com/2ly08hy.png

and I dont know the fan specs, but if it's reallly necessary then I'll find out somehow.
Please help! This is really bugging me now and I would admire every answer or solution given!

So far, u have a nice rig but the model of the PSU is needed to give any suggestions there as Corsair makes a lot of 650 wat PSUs and telling us it is getting 12 .38 volts from the wall is not enough.

Back again! So I tried with PCU with 850w. Still the same problem. Tried playing skyrim and it just froze, black screened and then made the same sound. The difference this time is that now it doesn't restart in the same amount of time, Now it simply gets stuck in the same frozen state but for a longer period. Please help!

Okay, a bios setting comes to mind now. Try to disable any CPU throttling settings. Something like C3 or C6 settings or thermal settings

Last edited:
I couldn't find anything good in bios, but I watched a video about that CPU throttling and I downloaded AIDA64 and it showed no sign of throttling at all.

You have a great computer, I wonder if a complete Windows re-install would help this. I'm out of other ideas:(

Back