My computer will not turn on

My computer shut down on it`s own, i thought it was up-dateing, but when I turned it back on a black screen came on saying about a cpu fan, but before I could finish reading it ,it went back off an now I can`t get it to turn on...my computer is windows 7 and it`s a compaq.it was a year old in may....what can I do to fix it?

Hi srw112457 :wave:

Welcome to
logo-rss.png
:grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

Well, I would suggest removing all the connections / hardware within your PC case and putting them back together carefully.

And as suggested in the post above, do post your system specs.

Some possibilities as of now:

CPU overheating
Failing PSU

My computer shut down on it`s own, i thought it was up-dateing, but when I turned it back on a black screen came on saying about a cpu fan, but before I could finish reading it ,it went back off an now I can`t get it to turn on...my computer is windows 7 and it`s a compaq.it was a year old in may....what can I do to fix it?

I have two other guesses:

1. Your computer is overheating. Is this a laptop or a desktop?

2. If you're using the beta version of Windows 7, it will shut off after an hour of use. You can tell if you have the beta version by looking at the bottom-right of your screen. It will have a little message saying it is a test/beta build of Windows 7.

~ttm

Back