My CPU fan is extremely loud, how do I fix it?

Well, a long time ago, I was just playing WoW and my CPU fan just started getting realllly loud out of no where, and it hasn't ever done this. So I lightly hit it and the noise stopped for awhile and now it's back. Hitting it doesn't do the trick anymore, I mean it's like out of this world, it's so annoying. My brother is a computer geek and runs servers and stuff out of our house, his room looks pretty crazy, anyways I haven't really asked him about it. I think last time though he said to just get a new CPU, I don't really have alot of money though.

Why not just replace the fan? Make sure it's a CPU fan and not a chassis fan.

You need to get a new fan. If the CPU cooler is a proprietary design, you may need a new CPU cooler to replace the fan.

Do you know the size of the fan? (60mm, 80mm, 120mm, and etc...)
How many pins does the fan connector have? Is it three of four pin?
If the whole CPU cooler needs replacing, which CPU socket are we talking about?

You really should have a talk with your brother. I'm sure he wouldn't steer you wrong.

I too had an extremely noisy PU fan, especiailly at start up. Here is my solution:
Unplug the pc. If the chassis at the fan is slotted with a hole in the middle, this is more than simple. If not and it only has slots and is solid in the middle, carefully drill a 1/4" hole in the center. Use very light pressure so as not to drill into the fan, just the chassis. I had to do it that way and it actually was quite simple. Get an insulin syringe or equivalent, suck up some automobile oil from a new container (just a couple of drops), stick the needle in the center and push in the plunger. Actually I peeled back some of the label first. Put in a drop or two. My fan no longer makes any noise at any time!!!

The newer advanced power management (APM) features include a rapid spin up of the fan for a brief interval and then slows down and increases intermittently in response to the heat sensed at the CPU or memory.

I also had this problem it's not a matter of concern but buying a new fan is a good idea because it doesn't last forever

This problem could also be due to dust buildup on the blades (not in this case) which can be solved by buying 'a can of air' from a hardware store and blow the fan with it (not too fast tough) just do it precisely

You're going to have to learn to diagnose the noise itself. It could be simply high air flow/ high RPM noise due to the fan spinning up in response to high CPU usage, which causes high heat output. It could also be "bearing noise", as the case would be if the fan bearings have worn out. Screeching or growling, would be bad fan bearings. Loud whooshing and high RPMs would be from heat issues.

The questions asked earlier about the size of the fan, who made the CPU cooler assembly, and whether the fan is a four wire (PCM controlled) unit or "legacy" 3 wire system.

You brother's comment, "just get a new CPU", makes little sense in the context of your complaint. I mean the "CPU", is the "central processing unit". and they simply lack the ability to make noise in and of themselves. Perhaps you misinterpreted his comment, or left some of it out?

Sounds like the bearings in the fan have worn out. Only way to fix it is to replace either the fan, or the cooler itself. You do not need to replace the actual CPU.

Yeah the main solution is ...hu hv to replace your fan....n alternate solution is...clean the dust of fan n a very small amout add a lubricant ...very small amount ok...u cn add oil also.....

That will help u a lot...always clean ur system by bolwer...

With in a 6 month..

Back