My drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took a drive from an older computer,it's a Maxtor 6Y160P0, installed it in my PC. I cant use this drive 'cause it's only seen in Device Manager. Not in my desktop. Not in disk manager. It may need to be formatted, but I can't recall just how to go about it. I use XP Home.
I recently formatted a 2.5 incher, so It's not impossible.
Will someone please enlighten me?

Preston

It should show up in My Computer. Right click it and select format.

He can't found it in My computer but only on device manager.

Ok so try to access your BIOS before booting to windows. And check if you found the HDD and click enter if yes and take the Cluster number and the full size of the HDD detected.

Come back when done.

I found info on my two sata drives. This one is IDE. There was no info I could find anywhere in BIOS settings on this maxtor drive. It shares a ribbon with my Plextor DVD-RW

So it seems that maybe the maxtor one and with another hardware is connected on both master or slave. For not being mess with it just remove the jumper and windows will place it automatically where it could (master or slave) depending on what is free and I think it should work.

Thank's for your helpful input amagien. l'll just buy a nice big sata drive instead of wasting our time on this tiny (160 G). Tried to send this note by pm, but i don't have enough posts. I need 15 and I only have 9, now 10 I guess.

Some expansion cards only support optical drives. Can you determine if this mobo has the same restriction? Does the manufacturer offer any IDE drivers for the mobo?

You have observed that the bios does not report the HDD on the IDE, but plug'n'play from the OS detects the HDD (device manager [DM]). It was true even when the HDD was solo on the IDE.

However, if DM calls this a disk drive and is not marked troubled, it should appear in the Computer Management ! Disk Manager listing - just a guess at this point. You first post refutes this guess.

There are many adapters/converters out there. USB/IDE have been around for an eternity. Since lately I have not updated myself, I assume that SATA/IDE converters probably do not have a market. Using a converter may answer the question if the format on the HDD is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back