My gaming spirit is gone

treetops

I used to game n game n game on pc. Now nearly every game I try bores me in less then a hour. Am I getting old? I have skyrim battlefield 3 I only played both for maybe 2 hours, I know they are great games but i just cant get into any new games. I played dnf for about 40 hours and now its on the shelf. I beat fromdust now its on the shelf. I still play sc2 a little. Other then that in last 3 years no game has made it past the 2 hour mark. Iv played probably over 50 demos and or torrented the single player version of any decent looking new game for the last 3 years. They all suck.
Here are games I have installed right now that havent made it past the 2 hour mark. Most are demos or pirated single player games that dont have demos that i would totally buy if they could make it past the 2 hour mark.

hard reset
metro 2033
fallout 3
mania planet
global agenda
mythos
trine 2
need for speed world\hot
cod's
dota 2 (played for 40 hours or so but its exactly like dota1)
LoL
Hon
left for dead 2
dead island
age of empires
some wow type games (cant stand em)
forsaken world
dark spore
stronghold 3
post apolyptic mahem
age of conan
steet fight newish

so uh hmm any suggestions? i think i need a new genre that doesnt exist, hmm any more fromdust type games?

p.s. damnit i looked on steam it only took me 2 hours to beat from dust

I have the same thoughts, although I probably never gamed as much as you. I still play a bit of SC2 as well. I really enjoyed Portal (got it when it was free on steam) and now Portal 2 (got it on sale, don't think its worth $60 or whatever they were charging when it came out). Have you played them?

I have the same thoughts, although I probably never gamed as much as you. I still play a bit of SC2 as well. I really enjoyed Portal (got it when it was free on steam) and now Portal 2 (got it on sale, don't think its worth $60 or whatever they were charging when it came out). Have you played them?

nope ill check them out

@linked yeah i know they are good games just loosing my will to game, no i dont gravitate to a certain type, well new unique game

edit another from dust type game might grab my eye

Can't lose with Portal, but I refused to play P2 for the same reason I refused to play Crysis 2 for my xbox. I went through hell and back build a machine just to play the first one. I'm still spitefull. Not to mention the "convert everything to console," fanfare which gets on my nerves.

LoL is a really fun game. I've even won a few tournaments.

I've experienced a similar loss in interest for gaming. I tend to replay things I've already beat more than I play new games. I've gone through Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory probably half a dozen times over the years. Same with Morrowind. I also enjoy watching others play more than playing myself (I watch Giant Bomb's Quick Looks and other such gameplay footage).

When I do play something, it's often simplistic (like super linear shooters) or casual (like Plants vs. Zombies). I still hop on TF2 regularly and I enjoy that for its basic gameplay (depending on the class I guess) and cartoony graphics, versus something like BF3. I also disable the voice communication when playing publicly so other gamers don't spoil the fun for me.

Sadly I'm at this point also. I completed Skyrim thanks to my love of TES games... but that's about it.

Im downloading the portal 1 demo right now and went on the fromdust forum to encourage them to make more levels :). Tf2 is a fun game, I have not spent a lot of hours on it but I might revisit it. Iv looked for a decent mario cart or twisted metal type games for pc with a multiplayer base only to be disappointed for years.

@Matt, I turn off the voice thing too, I can't stand heavy breathing, hearing the game echo and whining. I also watch from time to time with sc2 observer mode. And I lean to casual game like castle fight in war3 or nexus wars in sc2. Plants vs zombies caught my eye but iv yet to check it out.

Im hoping d3, firefall or torch light 2 will kick butt. I want a game to grab me by the brain banana, well at least when I have free time lol.

This is an interesting thread.I have been playing Assassin Creed series for a few years just lost interest in all other genres.Used to play a lot of strategy games but just lost interest in the new ones that come out.Seems there is way too many good games these days causing an overkill of gaming.

Kinda that way myself, finding time to sit down for a decent session of gaming is getting harder and harder....

I struggle to fit it in as well, usually the only time I have is the evenings, by which point I'm too tired for anything seriously mind consuming. So I tend to enjoy playing TF2. Its fun, cartoony in appearance and isn't too serious.

I also find I do through periods of not wanting to game as well. I get bored after a while, and lose interest, but a few months down the line I pick up where I left off.

I've also noticed that more serious games just aren't as much fun any more. I'm quite happy spending several hours playing games like L4D2 and TF2, as they are enjoyable, and aren't so serious. :)

Is there a way to regain the spirit? I mean I remember gaming for long durations like 7-8 hrs but now barely a few mins into the demo and you just lose interest.Never even bother to come back even if it is a highly rated & recommended game.Will moving to a console make any difference?

Is there a way to regain the spirit? I mean I remember gaming for long durations like 7-8 hrs but now barely a few mins into the demo and you just lose interest.Never even bother to come back even if it is a highly rated & recommended game.Will moving to a console make any difference?

I just thought it was a part of getting older and spending more time being a productive adult. College is over the heavy boozing has stopped and my metabolism can no longer put up with 36 hour study/party days.

Can't lose with Portal, but I refused to play P2 for the same reason I refused to play Crysis 2 for my xbox. I went through hell and back build a machine just to play the first one. I'm still spitefull. Not to mention the "convert everything to console," fanfare which gets on my nerves.

Portal 2 is pretty rough on my system. I haven't really noticed any lag, but I have dual monitors and have task manager up in the other and when I play my CPU usage is ~90%.

Back to the topic and in line with some of the comments, I too have gone back to more simplistic games. I actually started playing Paper Mario on Gamecube (but I'm playing on Wii with the Wavebird controller), I had played it before probably 6 years ago, but I remembered it was fun and popped it in. Logged about 16 hours on it since, probably another 12 to go before I beat it.

I, too, am seeing a similar trend in my gaming habits. I do find that I'm steering more toward single player campaign type games when I do play - like how I absolutely loved the single player BF3, BFBC2 and the MW games. Now there's Skyrim. I think I am addicted to it, but I'm not sure which part I'm more addicted to - playing or modding. There are nights when I will apply many, many mods and only get enough playtime in to see if a mod is functioning without ever generating another save game. I can't remember the last time I turned on one of my consoles, though I have considered moving the PS3 into my computer room to increase the chances that I might turn it on.

I refuse to let myself completely quit playing games. I grew up a heavy gamer and I've owned almost every console since the days of the 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex. I've been PC gaming pretty hardcore since '87 and don't want to be a quitter ;)

Portal 2 is pretty rough on my system. I haven't really noticed any lag, but I have dual monitors and have task manager up in the other and when I play my CPU usage is ~90%.

Back to the topic and in line with some of the comments, I too have gone back to more simplistic games. I actually started playing Paper Mario on Gamecube (but I'm playing on Wii with the Wavebird controller), I had played it before probably 6 years ago, but I remembered it was fun and popped it in. Logged about 16 hours on it since, probably another 12 to go before I beat it.

Lmao I still have that unopened, is it any good?

Oh yeh LinkedKube, its really fun (seriously). My only complaint is there is too much dialogue. For instance it seems like its half an hour between starting the game and actually getting to play, I'm sure its less, but it feels long. It doesn't get a whole lot better once you've been playing. Although I suppose it does help out the storyline, but it just seems excessive to me. Also, since I've played it through once before I feel 'restricted' because I don't yet have some abilities I really used before, but I suppose that happens in a lot of games.

I've been having the same problem as you for as long as I remember now. I've been gaming since about '99, and I can honestly say that I've almost seen it all. Games just aren't original anymore. Rarely is there a concept, story, or gameplay that keeps me entertained enough to actually play more than a couple hours and beat the actual game. I've beaten the single player parts of all the Modern Warfares, which are about 6-8 hours each one, beat BF3 because of Frostbite 2. Before that, maybe Assassins Creed 2, GTAIV, and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (like Matthew, yet again). I tried Rage, got bored after about 2 hours. I liked the Story in Assassins Creed 2, but 3 was a complete bore.

I started getting into 3D/2D and Web Design because of being bored of games.

My advice is... you're ****ed. Games just aren't as entertaining nowadays. Good stories and intuitive gameplay are as rare as four leaf clovers. I tend to play multiplayer games because the gameplay stays original, BF3 being the latest I've been playing, but it's already annoying me because it's so damn buggy. You could do something more productive with your time. Like I said, I personally started working on and modifying games. I remember working on Strike Force 2004 (UT2004 Mod) and noticed that I was spending about 10 times more time working on it rather than playing it as I found that more enjoyable.

PS - Hey Matthew, I've been looking for a partner to play through the Co-op of SC:CT, I dont think I've ever completed the MP Coop campaign, you down?

I played plants vs zombies so much I saw it when I closed my eyes then I actually dreamed about it! lol I don't know if I want to regain my old gaming habits, I felt like I only got a few hours sleep. I beat it and most the side games in about 2 days. I'm glad I'm not addicted to gaming anymore. I have a girlfriend nowadays and I need to finish up the rest of my classes to get my associates then perhaps onto my bachelors in networking. I'm 29 I started college late hmm I think gaming was just standing in my way. I'll always game here n there, now as a hobby not an obsession. Maybe the next generation consoles will woo me :).

@metabolism comment yeah l get nasty hang overs and they dont mix well with work\school.

Ill check out portal... eventually ^^

Hope you all have a great day and thanks for the feedback.

p.s. i still have a lot to learn about networking i am mainly just trying to learn general computer repair and want to grab a degree on the way

I too seem to be losing my gaming spirit and while in the past I used to have 3 games installed that I would play i.e the current Fifa, NFS and a FPS these days I cant play though I have installed them. After 30 min of playing I am bored

the only games that I play are RPGs like TW2 and skyrim which have managed to keep me engaged. I hope the new mass effect is good and will keep me occupied otherwise I might just have to replay older games e.g GTA san andreas which is always entertaining.

any advice on games I should look out for that would be of note this year I feel last year was a good one and 2012 doesn't have any great PC titles or does it?

I just hope i dont lose all my gaming spirit because i have been gaming hardcore since 1998 be it arcade and later Pc.

any advice on games I should look out for that would be of note this year I feel last year was a good one and 2012 doesn't have any great PC titles or does it?

I just hope i dont lose all my gaming spirit because i have been gaming hardcore since 1998 be it arcade and later Pc.

Hi and welcome Taichoojack!

Check out this article about up and coming 2012 titles.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/493-hot-pc-games-of-2012/

Diablo III might be of interest in particular ;)

You can get tired of anything if you do it too much. Take a break from gaming. Consider doing something else. Diversify your life. I don't mean to sound trite but I believe it's good to have different interests. After awhile, when you come back to gaming, you may find renewed enthusiasm for it.

Back