My lost HD is haunting me

Status
Not open for further replies.

crotchy

First off..hi all:)
I'm new to Techspot and got a problem:-(
One day we had a power outage and when i turned my pc on again,one of my hd's was just dead. Used all the standard methods of trying to get it back,but with no luck:-(
Oh well..to the real problem:
Now that it is removed it haunts my memory somehow. Leftovers from my installed programs bugs me when i try to install to my new hd. Or to say it in another way..the pc acts like the old hd is still there even though it's gone from bios and device manager. Also..the traces (shortcuts) are still active in the startmenu and can't be deleted.
Any solutions anyone?

If that HD was not the drive with the OS, and you had applications installed on it, the registry entries for the applications are probably still on the hard drive with the Operating System. Try downloading and running the registry cleaner on CCleaner.

you can try connecting it as an external drive via a USB to hunt for files to retrieve.
Power spikes can be nasty. Next time invest in an UPS.

thanks for replies.
CCleaner is always installed. It doesn't do much though with the problem:-(
Yes,a UPS is next on my list!
Tried connecting via usb,but no luck.
Anyways..let's just say that the old hd is a no go..how can i remove traces of the programs i had installed on it from my OS disk so that i may reinstall them on a new hd without conflicts?

Try the new version of CCleaner (it came out about 3 days ago)
It will also install right over the last one ;)

After running your standard CCleaner clean of all temp files.
Then run the Registry button (still in CCleaner) and "Scan for issues", make sure to fix all issues
You need to "Scan for issues" at least 3 times to get them all

Then restart and test again :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back