My PC won't read my Toshiba external

korialz

Before the reformat(some months ago), my pc can read any external but now it can't. My external can be read by other pc and laptops.
I connect the external either at the usb slot at the back of my pc or at the front, but the external only keeps on blinking(I also tried with other external and it keeps on beeping)(the pc doesn't read it). I also tried connecting the external through a usb hub and the blinking stops and the pc seems to read it. but the problem is it doesnt not recognize it. theres also a message pops up that it says "a problem occurs....the device wont work properly.....".
Ive searched the net and some says something about the "my comp -> right click -> manage-> disk management" where the connected device can be shown. The external can't be seen here.
What will I do?
by the way: (this happened some weeks ago) before this I have a firewire card(firewire slot with usb slot) but I removed it because every time I connect the external to the usb slot found in the firewire card the blue screen of death shows. and I only bought the card for a project and its finish.
I have notice something: After connecting my external to the hub, the blinking stops and the pc somehow reads it but a Removable Disk(H:) only shows and in device manager a new category appears Storage Volume-> Generic Volume
ps: if you answer about reinstalling/installing usb slot drive: where do I find this? i have several drivers in hand and I don't know which one is. some don't have autorun so I don't know which one to install

you can try this first. See if this might help [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

then skim through [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post] for other ideas that might apply

NOOB question

Do I need to remove anything from inside the cpu?
or I only need to remove all connected usbs.

you don't need to remove anything inside.

just remove/unplug all your external usb storage devices (flash, disks, CDs) from the USB ports. You can keep any USB Mice/keyboards/Network adapters connected. Then run the cleanup tool and reboot. Then plug your USB storage devices back in. See if might help

aw, sadly it does not work. still the external can't be read. I plug it at the back of my pc and still it keeps on blinking. I tried also pluging it in a hub and still the external can be read partially(Removable Disk in comp and storage volume in device manager).
I haven't updated my pc yet, could this fix my problem?
Does the blinking of the external suggest lack of power? how could I fix this?
thanks

Its a miracle?!!!!!!

I don't know why but my pc just came from a technician for installing my new hard drive(internal) and after I acquired it, the external was read.
He just cleaned my cpu and installed the hd and voila!!!!...the pc was able to read the external. Does dust affect something?
Nevertheless, thanks for your help. maybe your step/instruction did help.

On the one hand, from what you describe the tech did, i wouldn't think a cleaning and new hard drive should make the difference..

On the other hand, the only thing 100% for sure about computers is there ain't nuthin' 100% for sure about computers! ;)

So, in any event, glad to hear it now works!

Back