My USB ports are dead. Will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all

I have a frustrating issue with my eMachines desktop computer. I read the thread here about how the eMach's are notorius for frying USB ports.

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse (logitech) that were plugged into the rear USBs (along with two printers). The front ones were used primarily for iPod, phone sync, flash drives, etc.

The front panel ones died first, but i was still able to print and use the keyboard/mouse. In my attempts to fix the issue, the rear USBs are now dead as well...weird thing is that when plugged into the usb, i can still get to the bios/setup on startup from the wireless keyboard. Once the Windows logon starts, they don't work anymore. i plugged in a keyboard and mouse into the ps/2 jacks and i can get in to windows, but the printers are not working now.

(are you sick of reading yet?)

OK...here's my question. I have an open PCI slot - will a PCI/USB port work to replace the dead ones? I really don't feel like replacing the power supply or the whole computer.

I would get 4 in the back and then get a hub to run around the front. Is there any reason you can think of that this wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance!
Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back