Nab these hot Black Friday deals on solid state drives while they last

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Black Friday and Cyber Monday may bring even deeper discounts although playing the waiting game could be a gamble that some aren’t willing to take. Personally, some of these deals are just too good to pass up.

If you’ve been holding out on buying a shiny new solid state drive until just the right deal arrives, well folks, the time has come to break out the wallet and plug in that card number.

Samsung’s 500GB 860 EVO SATA III 2.5-inch drive, our pick for the best mainstream SSD on the market, is currently going for just $72.99 over on Amazon and Newegg. That’s 34 percent off the regular list price of $109.99 and one of the lowest prices we’ve ever seen on this drive.

Should you require a bit more storage, the 1TB model can be yours for only $127.98. The 2TB version is less of a steal at $294.88 and the 4TB whopper will set you back nearly $800.

For those not concerned with brand names, ADATA’s Ultimate SU650 480GB drive is only $57.99 while the Team Group L5 LITE 240GB drive can be sent your way for just $34.99 through Saturday courtesy of Newegg.

Those after something a bit faster may want to consider the HP EX900 M.2 500GB PCIe NVMe drive for $89.99, the Corsair Force Series MP500 240GB NVMe PCIe drive for $122.95 or Samsung’s 500GB 970 EVO M.2 PCIe drive for $116.99 over on Newegg.

Permalink to story.

1TB SSD drives can be had from Samsung, Crucial, WD and a few other name brand companies for less than $160 right now.

The smartest thing to do is have a 250GB - 525GB M.2 or Sata as your boot drive. Then you add in a larger SSD as your main drive and upgrade as prices cool.

It's actually amazing that you can get 2TB of SSD for just $300.

I have seen the best deal on m.2 drive from intel 2 months ago. For a short time it was 70 dollars without tax, 500GB version. I wish I bought it then. These promotions aren't promotions at all. And samsungs prices for m.2 aren't very competitive. Evo sata drives --sure. The rest is better from other companies.

If u don't need an SSD right now u should wait more. They're expected to drop 25%-50% further in the next few months according to many nand analysts. I certainly dont need a new SSD right now, I just want one!

ADATA is crap! I've had more of their devices die on me; more often than not, their SD cards. For me, ADATA is to (NAND) flash what Seagate is to mechanical drives.

The prices really have come down for SSDs. Anyone still operating a mechanical drive really ought to look at the deals on the EVO lineup.

A couple days ago, Google Express had a deal for the EVO 500GB SSD being sold through Best Buy for $63, but it's for new customers only. Had to buy myself one of course.

ADATA is crap! I've had more of their devices die on me; more often than not, their SD cards. For me, ADATA is to (NAND) flash what Seagate is to mechanical drives.
That's freaking blasphemous, and I can tell you haven't done your research b/c you don't know what you're talking a/b. I bought 3x ADATA SU800 this year which contain 3D nand, and they can be considered to be on par w/ Cruicial's MX lineup.

1TB SSD drives can be had from Samsung, Crucial, WD and a few other name brand companies for less than $160 right now.

The smartest thing to do is have a 250GB - 525GB M.2 or Sata as your boot drive. Then you add in a larger SSD as your main drive and upgrade as prices cool.

It's actually amazing that you can get 2TB of SSD for just $300.
I agree w/ you in that regard for potential buyers to purchase an M.2 or SATA SSD as a boot drive, however I feel as though the premise behind someone accessorizing another larger SSD as their "main drive" as you put it is a misnomer. My reasoning behind that is b/c for one, SSD's are still being sold at a premium compared legacy mechanical HDD's, and secondly, data recovery is more difficult to perform on an SSD compared to an HDD since it's based on flash memory where there's no moving parts (believe me, I know this from first-hand experience). I'm sure you are probably aware of this, but it's easier to forensically recover data from the magnetic tape of an HDD. HDD's are cheaper to manufacture and thus can be had in that same regard for buyers. Rather than someone attach a larger SSD as their "main drive," a better solution would be for them to attach a higher capacity HDD instead. Not everybody has the money to spend on a secondary SSD, and plus that same buyer would reap the benefits of effectively retaining their files through data recovery methods if an unforseen event that threatens data loss occurs, while simultaneously saving money in the process by getting, let's say a 4TB HDD for less than what it would cost for a 1TB SSD instead. Now Intel has made has made some amazing strides when it comes data storage technology by launching an architecture/platform called Optane which in short allows you to theoretically run an HDD at SSD speeds. If you don't know anything a/b it, I'd suggest you research it and look into it. My apologies for my long-winded tech talk.

My apologies for my long-winded tech talk.

If you have your OS on a 250GB SSD - which costs about $50 - or on a 500GB SSD which is about $100, you will only need up to 30GB for Windows 10 and the rest you can use for your most accessed files and possibly a few games.

Operation of your system's firmware will be snappy and efficient.

From that one drive (let's say: an M.2) you can continue adding other drives as prices decline.

A HDD for large video files and music files which are not necessarily accessed frequently.

Two or more SSD's for high intensity games.

I use M.2 as my OS and I've added a bunch of SSD's since my case holds up to 10 of them. I have over 5TB for games. I don't like load times.

Add SSD to liquid cooled CPU and GPU and your system runs whisper quiet while offering lightning fast seek and load times.

That's freaking blasphemous, and I can tell you haven't done your research b/c you don't know what you're talking a/b. I bought 3x ADATA SU800 this year which contain 3D nand, and they can be considered to be on par w/ Cruicial's MX lineup.
My negative experience with ADATA products is all the research I need, thank. But thank-you for the reply.

Back