NASA is building an air traffic control system for drones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nasa making traffic control system drones drone traffic control

Much like autonomous vehicles, drones could one day revolutionize all sorts of common tasks currently delegated to humans. But just like driverless cars, it’ll still be several years before we see unmanned drones zipping above our heads on a regular basis as there are all sorts of safety precautions, regulations and protocols that first need to be developed.

As outlined in a recent report from The New York Times, NASA is leading the charge as the space agency has been developing a traffic management system specifically for drones. The team at NASA’s Moffett Field (roughly four miles from Google’s Mountain View campus) aims to build an air traffic control system for low-flying aircraft – between 400 to 500 feet for most drones.

Mirroring the functionality of a conventional system, the drone system would monitor weather conditions as well as look out for other aircraft in the skies. Wind would be of the utmost concern as it doesn’t take much to shove a lightweight drone off course.

The control system would also need to look out for obvious obstacles like buildings and low-flying news helicopters – concerns that traditional aircraft don’t have to worry about at 30,000 feet.

Parimal H. Kopardekar, a NASA principal investigator who is developing and managing the program, expects the first commercial applications to be limited to agriculture and asset monitoring. By that, he means keeping an eye on crops or remotely monitoring an oil pipeline.

Such uses could become a reality as early as next year, he said.

Permalink to story.

......[ ].....Mirroring the functionality of a conventional system, the drone system would monitor weather conditions as well as look out for other aircraft in the skies. Wind would be of the utmost concern as it doesn’t take much to shove a lightweight drone off course.....[ ]....
I guess Amazon never thought of things like this. One supposes they just took their little toy airplanes out on a bright sunny day in still air, and figured they're ready for commercial use and would be flown by the stock boys....:D

......[ ].....Mirroring the functionality of a conventional system, the drone system would monitor weather conditions as well as look out for other aircraft in the skies. Wind would be of the utmost concern as it doesn’t take much to shove a lightweight drone off course.....[ ]....
I guess Amazon never thought of things like this. One supposes they just took their little toy airplanes out on a bright sunny day in still air, and figured they're ready for commercial use and would be flown by the stock boys....:D
Could be but I heard they were hard at work busy developing a cockpit voice recorder for their drones.

Could be but I heard they were hard at work busy developing a cockpit voice recorder for their drones.

To quote the quoted quote... I don't really like the ideas of drones flying around all over the place. Seems like it leaves more room for.... other things lessening our freedoms and privacy... but I'm a paranoid crazy guy sometimes.

To quote the quoted quote... I don't really like the ideas of drones flying around all over the place. Seems like it leaves more room for.... other things lessening our freedoms and privacy... but I'm a paranoid crazy guy sometimes.
I'm completely mystified why you seem to think I'm condoning this. So we're clear, I think Amazon's CEO needs to be slapped back into his seat, and told to mind his place. I think the issue of Amazon delivering parcels by drone is his megalomania articulated.

As far as Skid's joke goes, here's my punchline, "and the transcripts of those cockpit recordings will replace most of their real customer reviews".

Teach the help to multitask and don't spare the whip, that's my recipe for success.:eek:

I'm completely mystified why you seem to think I'm condoning this. So we're clear, I think Amazon's CEO needs to be slapped back into his seat, and told to mind his place. I think the issue of Amazon delivering parcels by drone is his megalomania articulated.

As far as Skid's joke goes, here's my punchline, "and the transcripts of those cockpit recordings will replace most of their real customer reviews".

Teach the help to multitask and don't spare the whip, that's my recipe for success.:eek:

To be honest. It was not directed at you or the other guy. I was up very late commenting and thought it would be funny to quote all the quotes and continue to state my opinion in a half sleep deprived state.

Edit: but I'm realizing you were up even later. :p

To be honest. It was not directed at you or the other guy. I was up very late commenting and thought it would be funny to quote all the quotes and continue to state my opinion in a half sleep deprived state.

Edit: but I'm realizing you were up even later. :p
Not really. I'm rested up since then, and I still resent the Amazon CEO's hyperbolic conceit. The most recent 2 press releases we're, "we have software that knows what your going to buy before you buy it, so we're going to move goods closer to you and be ready.

Then there is the issue of the drones. Which is safer, a truck driver with a 100 packages on a serial delivery route, or some computer piloting toy airplanes over top of people's heads.

So, not only does Amazon want to put every other business on the planet out of business, that now seems to hold true for delivery services as well.

The more that guy opens his yap, the less I but from them. I've taken to using Amazon.com, as a shopping catalog, then going somewhere else to make the purchase.Generally speaking, I can usually find a better price.

Back