Inactive Nasty critter will not let me boot computer either in normal or safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis Guerra

1. A week ago I got an unsolicited pop up.
2. Would not let me close Firefox so I turned computer off; rebooted and run malawarebytes.
3. That took care of the problem
4. Yesterday I got another pop up (Amazon price winning).
5. Did the same but this time decided to update malawarebytes for latest info.
6. Downloaded malawarebytes latest virus update and program asked me to reboot
7. I did but the computer turned off would not reboot
8. Disconnected computer from router and tried to boot both in normal and safe mode and computer would only freeze on a black screen
9. Have downloaded malawarebuytes to memory stick on my laptop and I am ready to rumble but do not know what I should do.
10. Since the odds of adding to the problem by trying to figure out how to solve it is very high I decided that the wise thing to do is to ask for help from those who do know before getting all creative.

Help will be very much appreciated; thks in advance

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

=======================================================================

Let's see, if we can look at your computer booting from an external source.

Please download OTLPE (filesize 120,9 MB)

• When downloaded double click on OTLPENet.exe and make sure there is a blank CD in your CD drive. This will automatically create a bootable CD.
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Depending on your type of internet connection, you should be able to get online as well so you can access this topic more easily.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked Do you wish to load the remote registry, select Yes
  • When asked Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning, select Yes
  • Ensure the box Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

As soon as I turned on the computer and inserted the CD the computer booted out of the CD and it downloaded the program, a windows XP screen came on and then the screen went black with a message that says
INFORMATION
OUT OF SCAN RANGE
35.5 KHz / 87hZ

It is stuck there

Turned off the computer; took the disk out; restarted the computer, pressed scape, selected CD drive to boot; program loaded and again got same message as before.

It is stuck on black screen with message in the middle

The above message usually means incorrect video card settings, but I believe, you're doing something wrong.
You have to put the CD in, THEN restart computer and you should see a message:
"Press any key to boot from CD".

1. Turned on computer to load cd (cant do it without computer on); loaded cd and turned off computer as soon as cd inside
2. Turned on computer again with cd inside
3. No message came up asking to press key to boot from CD
4. Computer started loading from CD on its own
5. Windows XP screen came up and started loading then it freezed out to a black screen
5. Same result and message

P.D. While loading a message flashes for 1/1th of a second to press F6 if you need to install a third party ....don't know what

It looks like you're NOT booting from a CD.
You need to enter BIOS and change "boot order", so CD drive is listed first.
If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

1. Changed BIOS to start with CD = same message as before
2. Changed BIOS to start from CD and disabled Hard Drive = same message as before

Still can not get into computer to run OTLPE scan

P.D. The program is running since it shows the loading bar and reads "Starting Reatogo-X-PE". It is when the Windows XP screen comes on that the program stops and the message comes out.

Maybe bad download, or bad burn.
Try the CD on another working computer and see, if it'll boot.

Well Broni we have a confirmation... this is a nasty and smart little critter. The disk run perfectly well in the laptop.

P.D. Viaos are set off by default to boot from CD first

The disk run perfectly well in the laptop.
Did it boot to REATOGO-X-PE desktop?

If so....try your bad computer monitor with a laptop and see, if you'll get any display on it.

Yeah, it's definitely something wrong with video card settings.
It won't be easy to correct it (if possible at all) since we can't boot.

In bad computer, do you have dedicated video card, or just on-board (motherboard based) video?
If you have a card, remove it and switch to on-board video.

I really do not know Broni... this is an off the shelf computer and here are the specs. Perhaps you are able to figure out if it has a separate video card from these specs.

MODEL
PCV-RX850
PROCESSOR
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.40B††† GHz†
CACHE MEMORY
512KB Integrated On-Die Level 2
FRONT SIDE BUS SPEED
533MHz
STANDARD RAM
512MB PC-2100 DDR (expandable to 1.5GB)
HARD DRIVE
80GB†† Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
CD-RW DRIVE
CD-RW (32X max. write / 12X max. rewrite / 40X
max. read)
DVD-ROM DRIVE
16X max. DVD-ROM Read / 40X max. CD-ROM
Read
FLOPPY DISK DRIVE
3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
VIDEO & GRAPHICS
SIS651 Integrated Graphics with Real256TM
2D/3D Graphics Accelerator
32MB Shared Graphics Memory (64MB Max.)
ETHERNET
10Base-T/100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
MODEM
V.90 compatible data/fax modem
EXPANSION SLOTS
One 4x AGP
Three PCI (one occupied by Modem)
Memory Stick® Media Slot
EXPANSION BAYS
Two 5.25" Half-Height (two occupied)
One External 3.5" (occupied)
Two Internal 3.5" (one occupied)
PORT CONNECTORS
Six USB 2.0 (two front/four rear)
One S/PDIF Audio Out
Two PS/2® (Mouse/Keyboard)
One VGA monitor port
One Parallel
One 6pin i.LINK port (rear)
One 4pin i.LINK port (front)
One Headphone / One Microphone
One Line In

Broni; Just thinking out loud and want to share with you these thoughts.

Perhaps t is time to reassess options:

Option A: Continue to figure out a way to boot computer; we are though in very shaky ground for two reasons: 1) I reckon we have very few weapons to accomplish this 2) This critter is not a regular bug. In general, bugs are not designed to knock down computers but instead to keep them operational and take control / advantage of them. This bug is designed to knock down the computer – if you can not see you can not fix. I must have been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time when the Wikileaks saga was in overdrive and became an unintended casualty.

Option B: Assess what do I have to loose and take a decision based on it. My last “My Documents” back up is from August 09/2010. Since then I have used the computer basically for communication but no serious work. I only have 3 files that are sort of important to me. I have printed copies of two of them (Powerpoint) and I can easily re-do them. The third is a Word document with an executive summary for a telecom investment in Peru which thanks to God I was just starting up…I would hate to loose it and have to start up again but at my age (60) I take life very light and do not waist energy crying over spilled milk. I guess the question would be if there is a way to save that single file?

Off course the computer has all kinds of programs but, truth be said, I basically use Office (which I have a disk for), Firefox, Adobe, Google Earth and Itunes (which I can download). All the other crap is basically useless to me; most of it came pre-loaded with the computer anyway and I had very little use for it.

Option C: This would have been the favorite option in my youth….Never say no; Never surrender!!! Lets catch this bugger to see what it is made off.

I do not know if this reasoning makes sense to you and I would certainly like to know what you think. Bear in mind that my reasoning is the reasoning of a tech ignorant or, at least, a tech handicapped. It is also the reasoning of one who values your time and the fact that by helping me on a case with a very low probability of success you are in some way using time you could be using to help others with far less complicated infections and who have more to loose.

In any event, I want to let you know that I appreciate the time you have so far dedicated to my case and I will leave the decision as to what should we do to you.

By the way, the computer came with the following disks which I have in my possession / Sony Application Recovery CD(s) - Sony System Recovery CD(s)

SIS651 Integrated Graphics with Real256TM
You don't have separate video card. It's on-board video chip.

Get your recovery CD and see, if you can boot from them without producing any errors.
Obviously, don't perform any restoration, but just see, if you can boot and operate those CDs.

Yes the computer booted from the System Recovery Disk 1 and I have a Sony Viao System window asking me to click next to continue but it advises me that the utility does not perform a backup of my existing data. It also says that if files have become corrupted or erased drive C can be restored to factory settings.

When I try to boot from the Application Recovery disk though the computer freezes out in a black screen with no message though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back