Need A New Monitor and Could Use Your Input Based on Experience

Route44

My monitor is old but still going strong. I bought it on Black Friday 2009 to replace the CTR monitor I was using on my then socket 939 system. It is a 24" Samsung SyncMaster 2494SW 1080p with only a VGA and an outdated DVI ports. No HDMI; no display port. It has a TN panel; 5ms and maximum 60Hz. I have never had issues with it even in gaming; I only play RPGs such as Skyrim, Pillars of Eternity, and the Divinity: Original Sin series as well as a few RTS games but nothing that requires fast reflexes/response time that FPS games require. It is also used for office work, internet research and surfing, etc. Thus, my new monitor must be able to handle several needs. I am currently using a GTX 970 card.

I am in the process of putting a new Ryzen system together to replace my current Ivy Bridge i5 PC from 2012 and I have done a lot of research concerning what monitors would be a good fit. I understand the difference between TN, ISP, and VA panels. I build systems but it has been a long time since I have had to buy a monitor for myself. Here are my questions:

1. I really like the fact of the the colors that both ISP and VA panels offer and I know they have improved in response time. Or in your opinion do I still need a TN panel because I game?

2. Are TN panels as washed out in color as a number of articles claim?

3. According to my research 24" is best for 1920x1080 due to pixel density. I would like to have the option to run 144Hz at Ultra or at least High settings but there are so many offerings it is hard to choose. I am thinking an AMD 5600XT should do fine. Thoughts?

4. I know the Maxwell video cards such as my GTX 970 will not receive drivers to work with FreeSync. Is it possible to turn off the the FreeSync settings until I upgrade to an AMD card?

5. Would 1440p @ 144Hz be a better option? 24" or 27"? It seems this is the direction many are going but certainly more expensive. A lot of the 27" VA panels are curved. I would prefer a flat screen.

I know this is long so thanks for reading it.

Back