Need advice removing mal generic-a

Status
Not open for further replies.
I alowed my pc to become infected with a virus (maybe more) last night. I unplugged the network cable temporarly till someone who knows more about this tells me its ok to plug it back in.

I have webroot spysweeper but it is unable to remove what its calling mal gerneric-a. I saw the 8 step process but I wanted to make sure it was ok to plug my pc back into the net safely to download the recommened programs. Also I am unable to run programs such as system restore, windows task manager, regedit, or any other of the normal utility programs I would normaly use.

Thank you for any advice. =)

*edit* I am running xp sp2 on a system I built a few years ago. I am more then willing to figure out any other information that is needed. I will also try and run the 8 steps once I know its ok to plug back into the net (im worried that my pc wont let me install them due to the virus).

Well I started the 8 step process and got to step 5, it asked me to reboot and now I cant log in on normal or safe mode. It logs me in and then right out again instantly

okay, do you have a system recovery disk, if so then try that, or you could try going into safe mode and doing a restore in there.

Alrighty all sorts of problems now. First off safe mode does the samething and auto logs me out. If I try to boot of disk it says I dont have hard drives installed. I have 4x 250gb drives running in raid 0+1. Recently before the virus happened one of them had started flashing degraded and the other set had started flashing error. But my pc still worked fine, really not sure what to do to fix those now.

*edit* something like this:
0 ERROR NVIDIA RAID 0+1 256gb
1 DEGRADED NVIDIA RAID 0+1 256gb

I would honestly love to just format this pc and start from scrach. But I need to get my files backed up first if at all possible

*edit* it would apear one of my drives has failed awile ago and my pc has been running off 3, Im not sure if this is at all possible. Im gonna see if I can resolove the harddrive problem and rebuild the raid. Would love to hear from anyone who has more experience in this then me...and I know there is a lot of you : p

It would be best for you to move over to either the Hardware or Windows OS forum for these problems.

I moved over to the hardware forum. Ill bump this post with an update when I get the other problems fixed. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back