Need alternative RAM

sjackson117

Hi all

I have decided to add an extra 4GB RAM to my pc and I bought some based on my motherboard which surprise surprise does not fit. Serves me right for ordering it away from home and not looking at what is already in it.

Anyway, I have now had a look and this is what I currently have:
Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5C 2 x 2GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory (1066MHz)

This appears to be no longer produced and the supposed newer equivalent is only 800MHz which is just plain wrong,

Does anyone know what RAM I can put in with the existing two chips to make it up to 4GB without putting a complete new set in. I have two spare slots which are a different colour to the two already in use but they have the same pin layout :)

Thanks for taking the time to read!

SJackson

I'd just try to find some 1066 DDR2 and give that a shot. I'd say as long as you don't have an Asus or other horribly picky motherboard you will be able to get by with different brands. Most of the time they work fine.

Run memtest overnight the first day you get the RAM. If no errors are thrown by morning, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have had another browse and I am thinking of getting these from over-clockers:
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Dual Channel (KHX8500D2K2/4G) [KHX8500D2K2/4G]
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-039-KS&tool=4

It has the same voltage, frequency and pin layout as far as I can see but the timings are different. 5-5-5-15 instead of 5-6-6-18 or something like that. Will this be a problem, I've never really bought ram for gaming before :/

The timings will be set by the bios, so with timings that close the RAM should be fine. Your current ram is slower, so it will either need to run faster (not much diff so shouldn't be a prob) or your new RAM will be 'relaxed' to 5-6-6-18. Or you'll manually set the timings to what you want and learn from trial and error what your RAM can do.

Back