Need help picking out laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am looking for a laptop that is priced around $500 I am fresh out of high school and am going into the military... I have basic computer knowledge and am completley lost when it comes to wireless networking cards. I want a laptop that I can go on the internet anywhere where it is availible I have prety much decided on a dell Inspiron 15 laptop with 250 gb hard drive and a Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card for $549. However the next modle up has a Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card and I would like to know the difference..Also if anyone knows of a laptop that is similarly priced with more/better features I would much apprecitate it I am trying my best to do research on my own but there are so many choices I need advice from someone with a little more computer know-how than myself..l. Thanks- Kyle

The difference is the speed of the wireless adapter. G is up to 54 Mbps, N is supposed to be like 270 Mbps. Realistically the G will probably see speed half of what it claims and the N might see 50Mbps. It all depends on the type of internet connection. The biggest benefit of N is the range. It can reach a longer distance than the G. G is fast enough for most everything except for streaming video over a network. Then you might notice some lag and choppiness. If you want to keep in touch with family I would get a laptop with a built in webcam. Not sure if the Dell model has one but most likely it does. Most do now. If you plan on playing games on the computer then the Dell might not be the best choice. For everything else it will be fine. My son just went in the Air Force and he got a nice HP with a 15 inch screen and a G card built in. He wants to get a Verizon EVDO card so he can access the internet anywhere he can get cellular service. If you get that then it doesn't matter what built in wireless card you get. Some laptops come with the Verizon EVDO network cards in them already but they cost more and need a service plan. Good luck!

that looks like a good laptop for you man.

its actually really good.

has a dual core processor, 4 gb of ram, built in webcam, good wi-fi card.

i would buy it if i had 500 bucks laying around,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back