Need input on upgrading graphics card and power supply for my HP p6716f

Important specs for my issue:
Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
video card: Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
Power Supply: Internal 250W (100-240V)
Expansion Slots: 1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
Product number (to look up anything else): BV564AA

I got my HP Pavilion p6716f pretty cheap and I'm starting to understand why now. I'm trying to upgrade the hardware, specifically the video card, and after googling the crap out of video cards I've realized I'll need to upgrade my power supply too. My question is how can I be sure what power supply will work in my pc and what wattage would be recommended? I've tried my best to figure this out on my own but I've hit a wall.
I don't know if this makes any sense but because the motherboard and processor are AMD I was thinking of sticking with an AMD video card, probably in the 6000 series, problem is I dont know if it'll fit in the PCI Express x16 slot, take a look by looking up the product number on hp (id post the web page but this website won't let me) So there's my first problem. Second, if I can even get the video card installed I'll need a new power supply, and I have no idea what specifications matter for installing power supplies.

While writing this I foudd this on newegg
(VisionTek 900370 Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card)
Would this solve all my problems? If so, I have this feeling this specific video card will be pretty loud... Let me know please.

Link to specs here.

Motherboard picture:

c02563446.jpg

Looks like any PCI express 16x GPU will fit fine, as long as you don't mind losing one of the PCI Express 1x slots for double width GPUs.

It has an ATX power supply, so that should cover pretty much anything you replace it with, but deeper power supplies might be hit and miss and you'd need to measure whether they would fit. ATX format power supplies are made to industry standard dimensions in terms of height and width, but different ATX power supplies do differ in depth. So an ATX should fit, but ultimately it depends on how much space you have between the back of the case and the back of the DVD drives for clearance.

The power supply you choose is dependant on the GPU you choose. If you could let us know the following, we could help you select the best option for you:

1. Your total budget, for a power supply and graphics card.
2. The intended usage of the computer -- if its gaming, what sort of games?
3. What resolution and detail do you wish to play these games at. The max resolution is dictated by the max resolution of your display, but it is an important factor to consider.
4. If you have preferred shops, list them. Newegg is fine if you like to shop there though.
5. How many fans does that case have, and where are they located -- upgrading to a higher end GPU introduces heat into the case in most cases, so cooling must be considered.
6. What processor is fitted in your computer? That model number has multiple CPU options.

It depends on which graphics card you ultimately decide to get as to which power supply you'll need unless you get something like an 850W PSU which will cover anything you'll likely get but would be overkill for most cards.
Would this solve all my problems?
What problems? You never actually stated a problem with your graphics other than you wanted to upgrade it.

Edit: Leeky beat me to it while I was composing my post. :) Much better answer besides.

The power supply you choose is dependant on the GPU you choose. If you could let us know the following, we could help you select the best option for you:

1. Your total budget, for a power supply and graphics card.
2. The intended usage of the computer -- if its gaming, what sort of games?
3. What resolution and detail do you wish to play these games at. The max resolution is dictated by the max resolution of your display, but it is an important factor to consider.
4. If you have preferred shops, list them. Newegg is fine if you like to shop there though.
5. How many fans does that case have, and where are they located -- upgrading to a higher end GPU introduces heat into the case in most cases, so cooling must be considered.
6. What processor is fitted in your computer? That model number has multiple CPU options.

1. I'm trying not to break the $200 mark total, but realize that I may have to. $300 is my max.
2. I intend to use my PC for gaming (witcher 2, skyrim) as well as programming.
3. my monitor is only capable of 1600x900, but an upgrade may be coming in the future, so really anything goes. although I am interested in getting an hdmi output with my card.
4. I like to search for things on newegg then buy them on amazon or ebay.
5. I think only one at the lower back, can I buy more fans?
6. AMD Athlon II X4 640

It depends on which graphics card you ultimately decide to get as to which power supply you'll need unless you get something like an 850W PSU which will cover anything you'll likely get but would be overkill for most cards.What problems? You never actually stated a problem with your graphics other than you wanted to upgrade it.

Edit: Leeky beat me to it while I was composing my post. :) Much better answer besides.

The problems were the potential of having to upgrade my power supply, because I def want to upgrade my graphics card, and whether the graphics card would fit. My asking "would this solve my problems?" was refering to this card I found:
VisionTek 900370 Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
I was wondering if it is any different than a reg graphics card since it is a pci express, and since I can't find a wattage consumpstion under its description would I need to upgrade my power supply? and would it be powerful enough to support games like the witcher 2 and skyrim on higher settings?

1. I'm trying not to break the $200 mark total, but realize that I may have to. $300 is my max.
2. I intend to use my PC for gaming (witcher 2, skyrim) as well as programming.

A HD6870 would serve you fine. They are around $160-180 on Newegg. Both games will be fine at full HD, with high detail for the most part. It is a very good GPU for the pricepoint.

3. my monitor is only capable of 1600x900, but an upgrade may be coming in the future, so really anything goes. although I am interested in getting an hdmi output with my card.

Pretty much every GPU has HDMI, so that isn't an issue. Full HD 1920x is what I'll assume your ultimately going to game at then.

5. I think only one at the lower back, can I buy more fans?

First, you need to see if your case can support more fans. If you get a reference series GPU (picture here) then you should be okay. Reference designs exhaust the heat of the card out the back of the case, whereas other cooler designs will build up more heat inside the case -- obviously with only one fan its going to get toasty.

Have a look and see if you can install one fan in the front of the case, to suck air in. If you're serious about gaming you might need to consider replacing your case. Even a budget gaming case will likely provide better cooling than the OEM one you're using now.

As for PSU -- a decent quality 550W unit will be more than enough to handle a HD6870, but you need to check how much clearance you have like I said in my first post to your thread. You might be able to fit pretty much all models, but it saves being disappointed.

$250-300 should have you sorted, maybe a little less if rebates pay out.

Back