Need more than a single laptop screen? This one has seven

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! We've seen laptops with two, even three screens before, but what if your profession requires access to a multitude of displays while on the move? You turn to Expanscape, which has developed the world's first seven-screen laptop.

You might remember Razer's Project Valerie that we first saw back at CES 2017. Based on the Razer Blade Pro, the laptop incorporates three 17.3-inch 4K G-Sync compatible monitors that automatically extend from the central display and angle themselves toward the user.

As spotted by Tom's Hardware, Expanscape's Aurora 7 Prototype more than doubles the number of screens found in Razer's laptop to seven. That includes four 17.3-inch displays—two in landscape, two in portrait—and three 7-inch 1920 x 1200 screens, all of which fold out from the device itself, meaning no fiddling with external connections.

Expanscape writes that the Aurora 7 is aimed at DevSecOps, Security Operations, Data Scientists, and Content Creators. It's no slouch when it comes to the internals, either: a Core i9-9900K CPU, 64GB of DDR4-2666 memory, GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card, two PCIe 3.0 x 4 M.2 SSDs, one 2.5-inch MLC SSD, and a 2TB 7200RPM hard drive. It's even got an embedded programable Arduino microcontroller.

There's also an Aurora 7 M3, the third iteration of the laptop. It boosts the GPU to an RTX 2070 (that might go up to an RTX 2080) and can be specced with AMD's Ryzen 9 3950X, if preferred.

As you might imagine, the Aurora 7 requires quite a bit of power for all those screens. That comes from the two internal batteries squeezed into the chassis: the primary 82Wh battery is for the system, while the 148Wh secondary battery keeps the screens going. They still won't keep the laptop alive for very long—about 2 hours 20 minutes, or less at high clock speeds.

Expanscape says it will be selling the prototypes of its machines while they are being developed. No word on prices, but a seven-screen laptop isn't going to come cheap.

Permalink to story.

neeyik

Staff member
oozm79d.jpg

Uncle Al

AND at that size and weight, I'm not sure you can really call it a laptop unless you've got a few reinforced artificial legs but heck, I'd take one of this have a give-away! LOL

arrowflash

I think it's amazingly cool. However if I happened to consider purchasing one, one thing I'd be concerned about would be durability, reliability and sturdiness of all the screens and the hinges / folding mechanism. Unless you use this machine as a desktop replacement that will only be moved around 4 or 5 times per year at most, my guess is that it won't last long in pristine condition and with all screens working.

VitalyT

That's not enough! I am developing the 8th eye on my back just as I'm reading it.

Hardware Geek

I think it's amazingly cool. However if I happened to consider purchasing one, one thing I'd be concerned about would be durability, reliability and sturdiness of all the screens and the hinges / folding mechanism. Unless you use this machine as a desktop replacement that will only be moved around 4 or 5 times per year at most, my guess is that it won't last long in pristine condition and with all screens working.
That would be my concern too. I think it's amazing and I'd love to have one, but durability is going to suck.

lipe123

The Bugatti of laptops?

I mean I guess if you have a suitcase filled with money you just have to get rid of, this would be an excellent way to accomplish that goal.

nismo91

Pretty cool I'd say. but I wonder why has nobody come up with a single 24" 4K screen laptop yet. much better experience and if executed properly it could only be about 55cm (21.5") wide and 32cm tall (12.5"). that's too big for a plane carry-on but not too big if you're only hauling laptop to and from work occasionally.

I mean you can technically order such chassis for your PS4 effectively turning your PS4 into "24" notebook" just without the battery.

https://www.polygon.com/ps4/2017/2/11/14585736/playstation-laptop-ps4-slim-pro-mods-video

Theinsanegamer

82+148WH of battery is 230wh.

Can I please have that kind of capacity on a normal gaming laptop? It reminds me of when I had a dell e6440 that hada 90wh+100WH+30WH battery combo, that thing was GREAT for on the go, had a low end AMD GPU that could play some civ v or battlefront, the fact you could play for hours on end and do a full work day and sTILL have battery left over was just fantastic.

Imagine the kind of battery life you could get with a single 17.3" screen and a mobile 5900hs+3060 combo.

VEGGIM

82+148WH of battery is 230wh.

Can I please have that kind of capacity on a normal gaming laptop? It reminds me of when I had a dell e6440 that hada 90wh+100WH+30WH battery combo, that thing was GREAT for on the go, had a low end AMD GPU that could play some civ v or battlefront, the fact you could play for hours on end and do a full work day and sTILL have battery left over was just fantastic.

Imagine the kind of battery life you could get with a single 17.3" screen and a mobile 5900hs+3060 combo.
Because of plane laws. Most only allow to 99.9whr so that's the max it can go. There's also spacing. The battery has to fit

negroplasty

Shame that second battery is too large to carry on, it would be funny to see someone bust this out in the middle seat on an airplane lol