Need new PC, any third party manufacturer recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foycur

I have a fairly old PC that I built myself...Pentium 4, AGP video card. I picked up Fallout 3 and....well, you know the rest of the story. The lag nearly sent me into shock. I have this beautiful game that I can't play past Commodore 64 specs, and it's killing me.

I get Maximum PC, and all the time I come across ads for PC vendors that build custom rigs. Since my machine is so dated, I've not kept up with the 'latest and greatest' in terms of CPU technology, GPU technology, etc.

Can anyone recommend any of these 'third party' (I mean not HP/Dell/Gateway folks) manufacturers, or is it still cheaper to build your own rig? I don't have a whole ton of time on my hands, and I figured in this economy I could find a prebuilt system with tech support that would perform nicely and still wouldn't break the bank a la Alienware. My budget is in the $1200-1500 range, not including a monitor or printer. Suggestions?

If you cannot build your own PC, then buying a prebuilt one from vendors like CyberPowerPC and iBuyPower is okay.

But otherwise, yes, it is still cheaper to build your own. $1200 will get you an absolutely fantastic machine that will be able to rip through anything you throw at it. Just post your current monitor's max\recommended resolution, and we can give you specific recommendations for the parts.

Alright, thanks for the offer! You must understand that you're talking to a guy that when he last laid his hands on a CPU for a build, it was a pentium 4 and AGP card. Part of my concern with a new build is unfamiliarity with new technology and parts.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 19" 931B model. The max resolution is 1280x1024, max sync rate is 75 Hz with an 8 ms refresh rate.

Thanks for offering to give me suggestions. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back