Need to get OS off old computer

I am putting together a new barebones system but I cant find my xp disc. can i get it off of the old hard drive? do i need to use a migrrating progam or can i make a copy of it?

Short answer is that your current xp installation likely will not work properly with the new build.
You could try simply moving the drive over and see if it will boot, but it probably has drivers installed that are incorrect for your new system.
eg - You need the xp disk. and then to update to sp3 at MS.

thanks Bookwyrm. I have an hp laptop with vista on it. can i load the recovery discs i made for that onto the new hard drive? Will i have vista or just the necessary files to run a clean boot? Can i make an xp recovery disc?

thanks Bookwyrm. I have an hp laptop with vista on it. can i load the recovery discs i made for that onto the new hard drive? Will i have vista or just the necessary files to run a clean boot? Can i make an xp recovery disc?[/QUOTE}
No.

Getting a new xp disk and key could be difficult now.
Your only hope for xp may be to find it at a "computer show" if you can find one in your area.

Otherwise, perhaps this will provide an answer for you...
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic154353.html
This was designed to make upgrading from xp to WIn7 easy.
They have brought it back... and at a reasonable price point ($50/workstation, can't be beat, except by Linux...)

And that may be your other option, (lacking original XP disk.)
Ubuntu is supposed to be one of the most user friendly of Linux Distro's right now.
We have some guys here who are able to talk you through an install.
AND... Open Office gets good marks for compatibility with MSOffice.

Ubuntu is certainly an option. If your curious about seeing it tylersdad you can click the link in your signature (small blue text directly below this comment) and it will take you to my step by step Ubuntu how-to guide.

I would recommend you use the 10.04 LTS version though, not the brand new 10.10 version.

Getting a new xp disk and key could be difficult now.

It's easy! Just download a "not genuine" copy of Windows XP -> install it -> run Microsoft Update and when it checks if it's a genuine copy it says that it's not genuine and that you will not be able to use the updates OR then you can pay ~140€ and the license is yours. :)

It's easy! Just download a "not genuine" copy of Windows XP -> install it -> run Microsoft Update and when it checks if it's a genuine copy it says that it's not genuine and that you will not be able to use the updates OR then you can pay ~140€ and the license is yours. :)

Thats entirely the wrong way of doing it.

Are you seriously recommending someone download something illegally, that could also contain unseen malware, spyware, virus' and other nasties?!?

Something like this is a much better, not to mention legal way of getting another copy, thats genuine: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINDOWS-XP-PR...ting_Software_Software_SR&hash=item3a5f2c74ef

You could also (dependant on your version) purchase a genuine CD, that you can use with your product key, if you still have it. If not, you need a full copy with serial. Just use reputable places online, and make sure if your getting the full disc and key, thats its brand new, and completely unused (thats goes for product key and disc!).

But unless you can find it for around £30-40, its not worth it, as its been replaced by Vista and W7 now, so its not worth the investment.

I know it's not right to download it...there is an other way to do it too, if you know anyone that has a original CD then install using it but use an other serial and then pay for it... I had to do it once many years ago... but then I found a Windows XP Pro ML (4CDs) but now again I have lost the key for that one :/

I must be alone here, because I've always kept a copy of every product key, along with every install disc I've ever had.

I literally have 6 OEM XP home discs, about the same in XP Pro OEM discs as well, and god knows how many other discs all the way down to Windows 3.11 :D

It's the first thing that gets lost with computers, which is one reason why I think the whole manufacturer's using Recovery partitions is a very good idea.

I usually too save everything but it got lost when I moved...I also have w3.1 (fdd), w95, w98, wme, w2k pro, w2003server, wXPhe, w7hp and then that god damn wxpml with no cd key and that's the one I need the most :(

But when it comes to choosing an os I would say that if the computer can handle it get w7 or then just get x/k/ubuntu depending on the hw

My point about the difficulty finding XP now was primarily in reference to typical outlets (Newegg, TigerDirect, MicroCenter, etc)
and is due to the fact that Win7 is the currently marketed product.

Hence, my comment about Computer shows being the most likely current source
providing one can be found in your area... don't know about in England or in Finland,
(with or without girlfriend and dog).

Yes, you can find copies of XP from on-line sources, but
Determining the reputability of these sources, and the genuineness of the product is not possible until they already have your money.

On one on-line transaction, I thought I was buying a product from a reputable source...
It turned out to be a cheap pirate copy knocked off in Asia someplace.
Never again... Never again!

It could even be worse than that - I bought a copy of what I thought was a legit XP pro from Ebay once. Well the guy sent me a burned copy of XP on a Memorex disc with a sticker he scraped off a physical machine. It took me weeks to get my money back and I was plenty mad. He didn't understand why the key wouldn't work.

Your best bet is to just call Microsoft and see if you can buy a license key directly from them. I've done that a couple times. Either that or upgrade to Win7 like some others suggested.

tylersdad: abt new, unused XP: PM me

tylersdad: abt new, unused XP:

send me a private message.

Don't pirate it!!!

DjKraid said:
It's easy! Just download a "not genuine" copy of Windows XP -> install it -> run Microsoft Update and when it checks if it's a genuine copy it says that it's not genuine and that you will not be able to use the updates OR then you can pay ~140€ and the license is yours.
Don't do it. @ tylersdad: Microsoft might still be offering copies for XP on their site. Amazon is also an option. @ DjKraid: Is € an British keyboard exclusive? My keyboard dosn't seem to have it. It has $.

Is € an British keyboard exclusive? My keyboard dosn't seem to have it. It has $.

In the UK we use the £ symbol, e.g. £25.00 is 25.00 Pounds.

In Europe (for those countries using Euro's) we use the € symbol. e.g €25.00 is 25.00 Euros.

Not all European countries use the euro system. For example, the UK didn't adopt it and we still use the British pound.

#superty12 - it seems like some one doesn't know that many keyboard "shortcuts" / combos :D press AltGR + E

#Leeky - Sweden is also one country that hasn't "taken" the euros in... My point of view is that euros suck, the prices has gone up and they just keep on rising... :/

There has been a lot arguing in our country as to whether it was a good idea, but I like our pound and wouldn't want euros. Like you said it keeps going up and its too high. I do get payments in euros sometimes though.

Watch as Ireland and Greece default on their public debt and revert to their previous currencies, then decide whether it was a good idea.
This was entirely due to mismanagement by the governments involved, but some think the Euro is doomed.

The bank of Ireland is actually bankrupt so it wouldn't surprised if they did Hughva.

Back