Need to install windows 10 updates without installing 1709 fall creator package

Cherry1

I don't want this fall creator package. It downloads an obscene 10GB for untested crap I don't want or need. I just got windows 10 so I didn't realize how crappy and nonconsentual they are. When I clicked "check for updates" I figured that's what I was doing, CHECKING. Instead it started to download ten gigs(!) and install that fall creator crap on my machine. Before restarting the machine I deleted the files and set my connection to metered. That seemed to keep away this awful update.

The problem is that I want to install other updates without getting this Fall creators disease. This is hard because don't even let you select which updates to install anymore, they just rape your with whatever garbage they see fit.

I am using windows 10 home version because I didn't think I would have to pay an extra 60 bucks for my Operating system to not violate me. I put gpedit on my machine after reading somewhere you can do that, but I don't think it actually works because it's not made for home edition.

I've tried wushowhide, but the Fall Creators update doesn't show on the list of programs for me to hide. Maybe because I aborted the installation last time. If I click "check for updates" again I am afraid they will attack me with the Fall Creators update again.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was not being clear or using the correct terminology. I don't need to update windows, but have pending updates for my other software/hardware via windows update.

wushowhide does not give specific enough information for me to track down the updates manually. All of these are not listed on the manufacturer websites or there are multiple updates with the same name so I can't narrow down which one I need:

• Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel(R) WTD)
  • Intel - System - 6/20/2017 12:000:00 AM - 11.7.0.1032
  • Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - MTD - 11/9/2016 12:00:00 AM 10.0.14393.21292
  • Dell Inc. - Firmware - 1/18/2017 12:000:00 AM - 1.1.3

(not sure if last one is needed because the dell update app says everything up to date)

The last one shouldn't be needed, avoid that one, now if you want to avoid microsoft updates like the plague.
You can disable it just make sure your computer is perfectly fine and stable as is before doing so.
Click on cortana, type in services, hit enter now navigate down to the bottom some.
Look for windows update, double click it, where it says start up, click on disable, click on service status and hit stop.
Now click apply, click ok and close out the window, check it again to make sure its off which it should be.

Don't feel too bad about doing this, I had to do this to xp sp3, windows 7 after ms went to sp1 and started ****ing up everything.
Had to do this windows 8 after sp1 and now windows 10, if you know that certain updates and patches won't work with your system.
Usually this is the best route to go to, either wait till MS programmers to get their act right to fix it properly or don't install it.
Luckily for me the release anniversary edition of 10 didn't screw up my computer but like clock work windows update is disabled.
You should check out joes other thread it has information that could help you out other than that go by here.
https://www.tenforums.com/

I see Dell Firmware listed above - - get the Service Tag, go to the Dell Support site and use it to get Dell updates.

Maybe; The fact is MS is parochial and heavy handed with it's systems and W/10 is the most offensive ever.
MS doesn't even have the discipline to segregate maintenance from feature creep and adding features is ALWAYS questionable to every software system.

You would have thought that with all the feedback MS collects, it would have monitored component and feature usage world wide to measure the effectiveness of R&D dollars - - :sigh:

Consider: Even though out of maintenance, there are users STILL with W/2k, Vista, XP and a great many with W/7 like myself. The proof of the pudding is always in the eating, and LOTS of users are still declining to eat at the W/10 table.

The Department of Defense has in recent years paid millions of dollars for extended support on Windows XP.
The Pentagon updated many of its Windows XP devices to Windows 2003 within the last six months, according to Chaffetz.
The DOD, Army, and Navy have been running “Windows XP eradication efforts” over the last year.

see
https://www.cyberscoop.com/windows-xp-us-government-duo-security-october-2016/

To their credit, DOD is addressing the archaic infrastructure and is migrating (at a snail's pace and undisclosed schedule) to migrating to Win/10.

The issue will be not the OS per se, but all those DOD software vendors updating their critical applications.

If there's a way to get W10 updates and not update to the latest Windows build (1709); I'm not aware of how you would be able to do that. I believe that was the original question.

If there's a way to get W10 updates and not update to the latest Windows build (1709); I'm not aware of how you would be able to do that. I believe that was the original question.

Simple wait for ms to give it to you or keep using windows as is ?
Check over this and see why or why not its being included to you, if you opted in to do beta or alpha builds of windows.
Rest assured ms will send it to you, I don't opt in to do it, because most releases from ms have flaws and problems.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...l/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925?auth=1

@Cherry1 you might try using Belarc to find your environment, including MISSING KBs. If this works correctly, you will get access to a list of critical and important KBs for your system and you can then review if you're interested.

Thank you joe, the belarc solution helped me get my kb updates

interesting about the pentagon. I don't see why we aren't all basically still using XP. Coke doesn't change its recipe every few years. McDonalds doesn't add new ingredients to the big mac. feature creep is the right term, they are creeps.

I set my connection to metered so technically if I run an update check on windows it should only install neccesary updates, but I don't trust them enough to risk it (not until I create a backup system image backup anyway)

Hi @Cherry1 Here's link from Microsoft Community about W10 updates. As far as I know this has not changed. There seems to be a lot of confusion about your question. Windows 10 Home doesn't have a lot of choices.;)
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/87687672-6adf-426c-811e-f541298af750
Hi just read your reply. Creating a back up image is a excellent idea. I create one before each W10 upgrade.
PS If you click check for updates, it will start down loading the Oct.1709 build.

Last edited:
@holdum323 There's a saying in software development:
If you see only one solution, then you just don't understand the problem.

If you need anything else, go to my profile and start a conversation :)
Hi let's stop this nonsense. We are all here to help and suggest what we think will help the OP. I'm a W10 user sense the free upgrade was offered, and I have posted what I thought would address their issue. TS recommends we help members here on the forum and not in PMs.
We all volunteer our time here on TS. Lets keep our EGOs out of our replies and work as a team.:D

We all volunteer our time here on TS. Lets keep our EGOs out of our replies and work as a team.:D
Since 2005 I have been. The solution here has been found and shown to useful by the OP and it fit's the desire to avoid updates which you continue to ignore. It's not an ego issue - - it's a problem solving technique.

Back