Why so much hate?

Joseph Watts

Why do so much people hate Windows 10? I don't see what's wrong with it Infact it is my fave Windows Opreating System! Does anyone agree!

My hate was with Windows 8 more so than Windows 10. And I do still have some hate for Windows 10 for features taken out of Windows 7.

I've found windows 10 to be an awesome OS and I've run windows since DOS/Windows 2.0 from start to now my favs were 98se, XP, 7 and now 10 on the same hardware I find Win10 to be better than 7 it's fast and less of a resource hog has way better memory management and understands newer hardware better Oh and it's more secure.... For those that don't want to be telling MS everything they're doing on their PC I suggest you download and use a tiny program call OOSU10 (O&O Shut Up 10) produced by O&O software tell it turn everything off and you're good to go no more background sly uploading of user/machine data

I like W10 and it seems to be getting better with each update. I just installed the patch Tuesday(10/10) cumulative update tonight. Every thing went well. It took appropriately 15 minutes. I hope it goes well for all W10 users. I'm always a day behind. LOL
PS I used the automatic update option. It called for a restart to install. I always hold my breath, but I have other ways if the automatic option fails.

Last edited:
No hate but being on older hardware, I really see no immediate burning reason to switch to W10 from W7.

No hate but being on older hardware, I really see no immediate burning reason to switch to W10 from W7.

By older hardware you mean ???? what pentium 3 and 256MB of ram or something from atleast this decade because I have to tell you my system isn't exactly a spring chicken and 10 runs great on way better than 7 ever did

Windows 10 runs great on my 6 year old Toshiba laptop. I posted my down load speed, but I see it was edited for some reason.
N/P

By older hardware you mean ???? what pentium 3 and 256MB of ram or something from atleast this decade because I have to tell you my system isn't exactly a spring chicken and 10 runs great on way better than 7 ever did

Q9550 with 8GB of RAM. I'm sure Windows 10 runs great but I have no issues with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, it performs well, boots quickly thanks to an SSD and runs all my games just fine really.

I'm not arguing that Windows 10 isn't better than Windows 7 (it better be!) but I just don't see the reason to fork out the cash when I have a perfectly fine running 64-bit OS. I think it's a little shady from Microsoft to force Kaby Lake users to use Windows 10 without any real good reason other than boosting Windows 10 sales but they're in the business of selling software of course. So if I were to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600 or i5-8400, I would look into getting Windows 10 but until that time, I really see no urge to buy Windows 10.

Q9550 with 8GB of RAM. I'm sure Windows 10 runs great but I have no issues with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, it performs well, boots quickly thanks to an SSD and runs all my games just fine really.

I'm not arguing that Windows 10 isn't better than Windows 7 (it better be!) but I just don't see the reason to fork out the cash when I have a perfectly fine running 64-bit OS. I think it's a little shady from Microsoft to force Kaby Lake users to use Windows 10 without any real good reason other than boosting Windows 10 sales but they're in the business of selling software of course. So if I were to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600 or i5-8400, I would look into getting Windows 10 but until that time, I really see no urge to buy Windows 10.

It's a free upgrade so no cash need be forked out at all and once you have a digital license it's yours forever even if you go back to 7 straight after also with regards to kaby lake having to run 10 that was an intel demand on MS nothing to do with MS trying to get more installs just like the previous 1151 socket not supporting Kaby Lake and you have to buy a new mobo it was intels decision

Hi. @ErikNZ You may still be able to get W10 free. If your happy with W7, It will still be sported for a few years.
I loved W7, but I'm also really liking W10 a lot.(y)I liked XP. Too!
https://www.techspot.com/article/1300-windows-10-free-upgrade-loopholes/

Thanks for that, that is a very interesting article! Well if it's a free upgrade.... I may as well give it a try! :)
( I own a Windows 7 Home Premium legit installation DVD so I can always throw Windows 10 off and do a fresh Windows 7 install if I don't like it I suppose).

You are very welcome. Go for it. Good luck! What I do is use a 3rd party image program to make a back up image. There are several free and paid programs. I prefer Macrium Reflect. Once you have a back up image on a external drive, you can go back and forth and be a fearless Windows user. Creating a back up image of W7 would be easier then doing a fresh Windows 7 install.
A system image is an exact copy of all system disks which can be used to restore your PC to the state it was in at the time the image was made.

I've found windows 10 to be an awesome OS...
... I suggest you download and use a tiny program ... tell it turn everything off and you're good to go..

That is why people hate W10 - we have here some good software packed with bunch of "you need to turn of that, tweak here, disable this bs..". Some folks just tired of this and switched to Linux (more customization, etc.) or Mac (just works fine out of box).

Like everything it has its upside and its downsides.
I find, for example, that it is the best working Windows I have used. When apps crash, they don't bring down the system, it doesn't seem to slow down over time and need reinstalling, but then I am not happy with things like, for example, Cortana, that the OS has to capture every keystroke (keylogger) and have a microphone on, capturing not only your voice, but all sounds in a room and that all this belongs to MS to do with as they will.
Is the problem Windows 10? Well only partly, we live in a new digital age that has come upon us relatively suddenly. The rules we played by are now all in flux. Governments and legislation are far behind the leading edge. Growing pains of a new type of society. Being older I didn't grow up with the surveillance state and am uncomfortable with it. People born with a smartphone in their hand will have a different outlook. People who grew up in 'free' countries may also think differently than those who lived in countries where you had to watch what you said or allowed in print.

There's an old adage - - If it aint broke, don't fixit. Change for the sake of change is a waste of time & resources. Yea yea yea -- being in software for 37 years, I'm fully aware of the need for security updates, especially today.

IMO, hate is the wrong term - - strongly dislike fits my attitude better. I'm a programmer and use my system for far more than just games, browsing and social media:
  • Using Cygwin, I write code for webservers
  • also write webpages (HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, Perl)
  • also run web and database servers to test that stuff
  • Then to track the business, I run an accounting system (Quickbooks 2009 Pro to be precise)
All of that lives happily on Win/7 Pro 64bit. As long as I can get my work done, I'm in no rush to change the OS on my laptop - - just because the masses have moved on. For me, Active Tiles would only get in the way.

Like everything it has its upside and its downsides.
I find, for example, that it is the best working Windows I have used. When apps crash, they don't bring down the system, it doesn't seem to slow down over time and need reinstalling, but then I am not happy with things like, for example, Cortana, that the OS has to capture every keystroke (keylogger) and have a microphone on, capturing not only your voice, but all sounds in a room and that all this belongs to MS to do with as they will.
Is the problem Windows 10? Well only partly, we live in a new digital age that has come upon us relatively suddenly. The rules we played by are now all in flux. Governments and legislation are far behind the leading edge. Growing pains of a new type of society. Being older I didn't grow up with the surveillance state and am uncomfortable with it. People born with a smartphone in their hand will have a different outlook. People who grew up in 'free' countries may also think differently than those who lived in countries where you had to watch what you said or allowed in print.

Try O&O softwares O&O Shut Up 10 program and shut all that down

Hi. I promised I wouldn't respond to these kind of threads. The title of this thread " Why so much hate"
I wish I had a answer. My simple reply. I don't know. I guess when you don't understand some thing, it's what you do.
I wish I had a better answer, but I don't.

I run 10 Pro on my desktop, I have 2 systems that run OS X, and a cheap tablet with 10. I don't really have any complaints on any of those. However, since this thread is asking for some reasons of 'hate', Windows 10 Home seems to be unable to accept you wanting to use a 3rd party program to open a lot of things - for example, if you want to use Irfanview to open a jpg, it seems Windows will not let that stick. Same with foxit reader for pdfs, it notices there is a change from Photos/Edge to Irfanview/Foxit (in my examples) and changes it back for you. Doesn't seem to do this in 10 Professional. I did some brief searching and was unable to find a way to make Home not do that without editing the registry. That type of control is excessive, and goes against all previous versions of Windows.

Yesterday, I was working on my laptop with windows 10. I needed to go in hurry so I pressed shut down, shoved it in my backpack and left the library. There was an update so it didn't turn off and when I opened it later in the evening it was very hot in my backpack. I needed to work on it again instead of waiting on it to finish update and since it wouldn't turn off, I removed the battery and started it again. It had BSOD few times until it started working again. It still finished an update before letting me in. The update thing is one reason I prefer seven. Ads that pop up in menu occasionally is another annoyance. But as others mentioned, it is the control which MS decided to take away from us, people who tweak and demand 100% control and non involvement in our work is the worst about it. Do I like how quickly it boots? I do. Do I like the support for variety of peripherals and its huge driver library? I do. But it is a trade off, they implemented the stuff that drives me crazy as it distracts me from my tasks and isn't changeable.

Back