Need tool to open RAR files

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-bit and need a program to open an RAR file that I downloaded. I've found a number of sites online offering such programs but am nervoucs about downloading from sites I don't know. Can anyone recommend a safe program/vendor?

Thanks.

Can I presume you trust this site, TechSpot? If you didn't, why would you be here in the first place, right? Since you asked for trusted sites look no further than here. Go to our Downloads section and you will find many different archive utilities that will open RAR files. I can recommend freeware ZipGenius but there are others. Take your pick.

Click on the "Downloads" tab at the top of this page.

I like WinRAR. You'll find that it gives a warning that it's not free but if you close the box and carry on it works. You'll be fine with downloads on Techspot.

Hi. I use 7-zip for .zip, but I just checked and it will also unpack (only) .RAR too.
I can't say for certain that it will run in your current O/S as I run Win8 32 bit, but I have used 7-zip for many years so I probably did use it in Vista also.

http://www.rarlabs.com/ - straight from the source. The other tools mentioned previously will work as well. I've used (and purchased) WinRAR for years now. It is fully functional even if you don't purchase it - but I use it so much I only thought it was fair to pay for it.

Back