Needing advice on MBR and partitioning HD

PhilipMoore62

So that pretty much sums it up. I have an ACER ASPIRE E17. I attempted to use Unbutu as an alternate (not side by side) OS. When I didn't care for it, I wanted to revert to my Windows 10. My computer will download and install Windows 10 using the USB legacy option. When attempting to change BIOS to UEFI upon bootup I get a message that boot record can not be found. Can you give me direction as how to go about fixing this mess? I've installed 8.1 and then windows 10. I was even able to activate windows but still I can't seem to get it to run in the UEFI boot. I feel as if I'm kind of in an area that I don't know what it is that I don't know.

UEFI boot is controlled in the BIOS, not all systems support it. While you can DL and install, the MBR/UEFI may not have been rewritten to as to allow the use of UEFI. In such cases, you must use the LEGACY boot option.

Thanks Joe for your reply. My system is one that does support UEFI in the bios. So what happens is that I successfully put a clean copy of Windows 10 on my laptop successfully. When I then go back to BIOS to rest it from Legacy with USB and then reboot It gives me the message that no boot file can be found. Is it possible that that drive needs to be formatted with a different type of format (FAT32?) Been at this now for four days, kinda losing it's luster just a bit.

I don't know if you've already read my post. I didn't explain it correctly. When I attempt to place my BIOS back to UEFI with the primary hard drive is when it reads that there is no bootable drive found.

Ok so If I understand what you are saying with
SET BIOS OPTION first, THEN install
Does this mean that once I've set my BIOS to the legacy USB HD setting to install the program form the USB drive,I will then once the program has completed the install will then go back to BIOS and set it back such that it will locate my HD and recognize the UEFI settings? I think I'm a bit confused on the next step.

Re-reading what I wrote when you say set bios option first and then install, makes me think that I did set the BIOS to legacy (rather than UEFI) and the bios is then set to a USB/HD setting to do the install? I think I'm definitely confused.

When I
SET BIOS OPTION first, THEN install
and attempt install Windows will install and I'm able to access the program. However as soon as I reset the BIOS to UEFI and the Hard drive C: selection is when I get the message that there is no bootable disk found.
I would really appreciate assistance on this as this is the fourth day I've spent trying to figure this out.

I Don't recall messing with the BIOS to enable booting from a USB.
I am recommending, the bios be in Legacy mode when the Install is attempted on the C:\ drive

Thanks for clarifying that. That maybe the error I've been making. What I'm understanding now is that I should not disturb the actual drive that I'm using To leave the drive set for the C:drive but only to change the UEIF/legacy mode. I think I may have tried this. The way you are explaining it sounds some what different. I will get back to you. THANK YOU.

Hi Joe-
Your tip on setting the BIOS to legacy and then installing was the part of the puzzle I had screwed up. Over thinking (which I'm bad about) I thought that when using a flash drive when attempting to install a program such as this, I was required to set the BIOS to the drive that the installation came from . ie. once setting the BIOS to legacy I then would reboot to set the drive selection to the flash drive that had the information. With your one tip, that I didn't need to change anything to the legacy setting did the trick!
If I had any feedback that you might have a chance to send up the food chain would be that it is not necessary to change the boot option to the boot drive that is providing the setup tools. Joe Thanks a million!

Back