Solved Net connection temporarily lost when browsing some sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the problem is, or whether it is malware related, but I didn't know where else to post.

When I try to access certain sites (2 different ones, so far) all pages time out for a minute or two in IE and FF, but I'm still connected, i.e. ping works fine. I also lose connection to my IRC client when this happens. After a bit, I can reload all pages on the site and it works fine until the next time I go to the site some time later. I have run a Malwarebytes Scan with no results, and I have had absolutely no other signs of malware. Running the pc in Safe Mode with Networking allows the sites to load very snappily and with no errors, and even when the "connection" appears to be down on this PC, I can still browse on other computers, so the problem is definitely with my PC and not the network.

Any suggestions?

The sites are www.mygrande.com and www.tarleton.edu

Running the pc in Safe Mode with Networking allows the sites to load very snappily and with no errors, and even when the "connection" appears to be down on this PC

I don't think this is malware related. This description may point you in the right direction:

Safe Mode with Networking: Includes the services and drivers needed for network connectivity. Safe mode with networking enables logging on to the network, logon scripts, security, and Group Policy settings. Nonessential services and startup programs not related to networking do not run. Helpful if needed but should be used with caution as the security programs don't load in this mode.

Check the settings in whatever security programs you're using. Also, check the security settings in whichever browser is the default. My guess is that some setting in security that loads in Normal Mode is interfering with the connection. When you run in SMWN, they aren't loading.

You can also check for Errors in the Event Viewer that occur at the same time of the failed connections. I didn't see anything obvious in either of the sites you left, but be sure none are blocked by security settings.

I temporarily removed my security software, as disabling it all didn't help. That didn't help either. Then I reset internet explorer, even though it was not my primary browser, since I know Windows gets a lot of it's general internet settings from there. At the moment, that seems to have taken care of it. I'll post again when I'm sure.

Okay. If the problems continue, try and run the scans below so I can see what's going on.

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

NOTE: If you already have any of the scanning programs on the computer, please remove them and download the versions in these links.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Thanks for your response. The problem seems to have resolved itself on all fronts once I reset all Internet Explorer settings.

EDIT: I don't know how to mark this as solved, but it's ready to be closed.

Thank you for the update- I will closed the thread as the problem has been resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back