Netflix wants to retain the rights to Star Wars, Marvel movies following expiration of...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Disney earlier this week said it would be ending its distribution deal with Netflix in 2019 at which time it’ll move its intellectual property to an in-house video streaming service. Understandably, the prospect of subscribing to yet another streaming video service rubbed some consumers the wrong way.

Netflix, understandably so, doesn’t want to let the lucrative IP go without a (non-adversarial) fight.

The streaming video giant is holding “active discussions” with Disney executives with regard to keeping Star Wars and Marvel films on its platform after the current deal expires according to Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos.

Disney chief Bob Iger said earlier this week that they hadn’t yet decided where its Star Wars and Marvel movies would end up.

While some may be upset with Disney’s move seeing as there will be even more fragmentation in streaming (and they’ll have to pay more to view content that already comes with a Netflix account), Netflix wasn’t surprised by the move.

At an event to celebrate Emmy nominations for The Crown, Sarandos said he expected Disney’s upcoming service to be “complementary” to Netflix and added that it is “a natural evolution.”

Share value in Netflix dipped earlier this week on the news but appears to be heading back in the right direction. The company’s stock is currently trading at $171.08, up 1.15 percent on the day.

Permalink to story.

So now that we all want to cut the cable to reduce bills, all these networks and producion companies are going al la carte and forcing us to spend just as much to get even less substance. Great...
I certainly will not cave to the "pressure." If Star Wars and Marvel films leave Netflix, I will rent those I want to see from Redbox, or just not see them. I will not pay Disney for a subscription I will barely use.

So now that we all want to cut the cable to reduce bills, all these networks and producion companies are going al la carte and forcing us to spend just as much to get even less substance. Great...
I certainly will not cave to the "pressure." If Star Wars and Marvel films leave Netflix, I will rent those I want to see from Redbox, or just not see them. I will not pay Disney for a subscription I will barely use.

OR you can subscribe for the month or two, binge watch everything (not really, a couple of episodes of a show or a movie a night isn't excessive) and then drop the subscription.

Hard to see many people actually going for a separate subscription with Disney. HBO tried it, and they're getting nowhere.

Well, this is pretty much what I've been predicting since people here started blabbering, "how wonderful it would be to be able to get cable subscriptions a la carte". Apparently those individuals have never looked at a restaurant menu, since "a la carte", is always twice the price of the "today's special".

Now, since you've "cut the cord", you have every parasite in Hollywood slavering over your "disposable income", and a great many people are stupid enough not to be able to add the costs of all these individual subscriptions, and think they're getting a great bargain. Well, you need Netflix, you need Hulu, you need HBO, and now, you're gonna "need" Disney.

God bless you, but answer me this, how many f**king times can you watch the same damned Star Wars movie?

Hell, everybody dies at the end of the last one. That's depressing. It just bummed me out. Everybody on the web seemed to think it deserved an Academy Award, and now Disney wants to keep it all for themselves...:confused: God bless them too, and they're welcome to it.

Disney apparently handed the DVD rights for Marvel's; "Agents of Shield" TV series season 2, directly over to Amazon. Well, it's OK, but I think I can live without it too.

OK, to summarize, Comcast is at the top of the US, "most hated companies" list, which I've just revised to include Disney, and Amazon has already been at the top of my "most hated companies" for several years.....! Long live Redbox, huzzah!

I want you to meet the "Copyright Extension Act of 1998": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

It was enacted primarily so Disney's "Mickey Mouse" product, wouldn't go into the public domain. Theze people are sh!t kidz, and they're capable of bending and bribing the government's actions to their favor, it seems like whenever they so desire.

EPILOGUE: When it comes right down to it, if you're patient enough, and if you live long enough, pretty much everything ever produced, will wind up on the broadcast OTA digital sub channels eventually...(y)

Last edited:
Disney would be much wiser to stay with an established platform than start their own. Netflix has an established audience, a greater draw, and is a "known" commodity. Disney has been through quite a few failed adventures over the years, yet with each new tier of management they seem to forget the lessons of the past. You would think by now their Board of Directors would choose someone that had a firm grip on the past before diving into the unknown future .....

Hey, it's Disney's right to take them back...it's also my right not to give a crap about watching them. I already had them on DVD, ripped them to ISO's anyway and can watch them anytime I want. I think Disney is cutting their throat if they think people will either drop netflix for Disney, or, pay another fee to watch something that a lot of people that are real fans, probably have hard copies anyway.

Disney would be much wiser to stay with an established platform than start their own. Netflix has an established audience, a greater draw, and is a "known" commodity. Disney has been through quite a few failed adventures over the years, yet with each new tier of management they seem to forget the lessons of the past. You would think by now their Board of Directors would choose someone that had a firm grip on the past before diving into the unknown future .....
Can't say I agree more.
As I see it, Disney and the rest of the streamers jumping on the "want some Mickey Mouse candy, kiddies" bandwagon will learn even if they have to learn the hard way.

OR you can subscribe for the month or two, binge watch everything (not really, a couple of episodes of a show or a movie a night isn't excessive) and then drop the subscription.
I agree, that is a possibility. However, Disney does not have enough content for me to justify even a month or two subscription.

Back