Netflix's The Witcher show triggers spike in The Witcher 3's popularity

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Have you been enjoying Netflix’s The Witcher show? You’re not alone. The TV adaptation is proving hugely popular, despite some mixed reviews, and has spurred viewers to return to one of the greatest video games of all time: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

According to Steam Chart analytics, around 38,000 people are currently playing the 2015 game. There’s also been a peak player count of 50,354 in the last 30 days—the first time it’s passed 50,000 since the Blood and Wine expansion arrived in 2016. As noted by PC Gamer, there are currently more people playing the Witcher 3 than Red Dead Redemption 2 on Steam.

Netflix has already confirmed a second season of The Witcher, and showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich has shared what’s in store for season two.

“What’s great about season two, I can tell you, is that, in what we’ve written, the story becomes much more focused. There’s a stronger drive in the story, because all of the relationships that we’ve been setting up in season one, actually start to come into fruition in season two,” she told GamesRadar+. We’re also going to see more interaction between the main characters of Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer.

For those who can’t get enough of the TV show, Hissrich told SFX that there are plans for seven seasons.

As one of the many people who loved Netflix’s interpretation, I’ve also felt the temptation to return to The Wild Hunt. With the numerous mods available that update the graphics, it’s a perfect time to take control of Geralt once again—providing you have a spare 150+ hours to play through the game and its expansions.

Permalink to story.

Well, after watching 5 episodes so far, I'm inclined to not bother with anymore,TBH.

Cavill nails it as Geralt, but as for everyone else..very poor casting.

Well, after watching 5 episodes so far, I'm inclined to not bother with anymore,TBH.

I don't like Ciri and Triss too much, the actress who plays Ciri just doesn't fit and Triss…..how can you cast Triss as tanned and brown hair :facepalm:

I like it. I've only watched 2 episodes cause of being so busy x-mas season, but the fighting scenes were phenomenal and Geralt's actor is spot on!

...Why? Everything I've heard about the show has been less than par (except Cavill). From lore being done wrong, to scenes being very poorly directed...

I've played the main games, so I know what quality story is there. But unless they also know/heard that......

The TV show is a mess... some great fight scenes and that’s about it... the jumping from past to present is very clumsily done - if you haven’t played the games or read the books, you’re most likely going to be lost (but if that’s the case, more likely you’ll just quit after episode 1).

Saying that, it’s kind of like watching a car crash as I had to actually watch all of season 1...

how can you cast Triss as tanned and brown hair
I've only read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, but Tris doesn't come across as being a major character in the books - I.e. not a lot is said about her appearance. I think she's described as having brown or mousy brown hair, but I could well be remembering incorrectly. The only thing I do know for certain is that the Triss in the games, is definitely not the Triss in the books.

I play TW3 on GOG Galaxy and RDR2 using R* launcher. Steam numbers don't tell much of a story considering RDR2 wasn't on Steam at launch.

Jesus people, the reason the episodes jump around is to introduce both Yennefer and Ciri right away so that the story flows better overall. In the books they're introduced much later. The show is actually great and only gets better the further in you watch. By episode 8, all arcs become one and we are all caught up. The final episode alone is great.

You're giving up too quick and the casting is actually on point. They mirror the books, not the games. The games stray from the books.

Yeah I downloaded it again. I couldn’t really get into the game before but I’m enjoying the tv show so I thought I’d give it a chance.

Besides it’s not as if there any decent modern elder scrolls games around...

I've only read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, but Tris doesn't come across as being a major character in the books - I.e. not a lot is said about her appearance. I think she's described as having brown or mousy brown hair, but I could well be remembering incorrectly. The only thing I do know for certain is that the Triss in the games, is definitely not the Triss in the books.

This.

Triss being a flaming redhead is a game thing. Hell, it isn't even a series-wide thing; it's specifically in W3 that she's depicted like that. In W2, her hair color is much more muted, nearly brunette basically.

Well... I always wanted to give Witcher a try, but them my first son was born. Now my second is just 42 days old, so the only things I have time to play now is 30 min MOBAs matches.

Watching the Witcher was like watching RAW images from my full frame camera.
Lots of interesting stuff but still some polishing to do.

Well... I always wanted to give Witcher a try, but them my first son was born. Now my second is just 42 days old, so the only things I have time to play now is 30 min MOBAs matches.

That's surprising considering you can't pause most MOBAs. I don't even have kids and can't make it 30-40 minutes without my SO needing help with something.

People complaining about the show jumping around in time didn't read the books. The first season relate The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny material... which are short stories. I can relate that Cavil is casting a huge shadow to the rest of the cast. However, Jaskier is better than I was expecting and Triss is only a secondary character in the books. CDPR made her a main protagonist in the game, but Sapkowski main characters were Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer.

My main complain is the damn Nilfgardian armors set which are drastically horrible. I am actually quite surprised with the series. One of the best surprise of 2019. All the fans are liking it. IMDB is showing an 8.7 and I tend to agree. This is not having the budget of Game of Thrones, but it is having a lot of potential.

And those Geralt lines filled with sarcasm, bang on. "I brought you apple juice" (you think I would be a bad mother) "You? Definitely!"

People complaining about the show jumping around in time didn't read the books.
I didn't read the books or play the games. Once I figured out the time line bouncing, I was fine with it. If I was more familiar with the characters, I would have likely not been so slow. I think I was on episode 7, before the time difference slapped me in the face.

Back