Netsh interface IP set/add not working

O negative

Do I need to create a log file (and set path) to use the netsh interface ip set or ip add commands?

It almost smells like a security issue, but it does say "Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" in the title bar of the command prompt window. Still, anytime I try to change the status quo using netsh I get, "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." I can use netsh to view things with no problem and if I make a typo. I get a totally different error message.

I want to link to a Toshiba Satellite with Vista on it. The only IP interface that exists is a loopback one with a 127 address.

I'm trying to create a LAN interface, but even when I type-in exactly the examples provided when I ask, "netsh interface ip set address ?" or "netsh interface ip add address ?", I get the "filename, directory, volume....incorrect" BS.

I'm curious as to why no default LAN interface is listed when I use ip show addresses. This Toshiba can't load Windows explorer right now (I'm guessing the battery went dead during an update. Not sure. Not my machine.) which is why I have to use command prompt. Do the network configurations get loaded only when Windows loads the desktop and everything? Can I even use the network card under recovery mode? (What can I find out about the network card without using a screwdriver, butter knife, or GUI?)

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm an untrained hack, very new to this stuff. A couple weekends ago I never saw the term, "netsh".

I want to link to a Toshiba Satellite with Vista on it. The only IP interface that exists is a loopback one with a 127 address.
On the system itself can use the 127.0.0.1 address. Several antivirus/firewall systems use it for internal services, but in general that
address is useless for networking.

As to seeing the Local Area Connection, you need to have an Ethernet adapter (NIC) or
a WiFi adapter installed with proper drivers. That allows you to wire a connection to your router or to use the wireless to connect. WHEN/IF you get connected, THEN you will see the LAN and its related IP address.

The Satellite has wireless from the factory. I believe it has a LAN card as well because it has a cat5e jack. That is why I asked if the addresses get loaded in recovery mode.

I mentioned the loopback interface only to show that the "passive" netsh commands were working for me. I can look at stuff, but I can't change anything.

Thanks for your response!

we normally don't approach networking configurations via netsh.
Setting the adaptors to allow DHCP does everything we need without our needing
to be a nework wizard and lots of pre-study - - so imo, don't swim upstream.

Other than learning netsh, what is the objective or issue you are attempting to sovle?

Back