Network adapter disappeared after storm

I apologize ahead if I seem like a total NOOB (I am)

Ok, so I had an electrical storm here recently & when I got up the next morning my router was blown and my HP desktop is telling me that 'Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

So, first thing was that I went out and got a new router and that is great, as my laptop is online now. But what do I need to do to replace the network adapter, if that is even possible. I guess I am not sure I understand what the network adapter is. I know it is something that is supposed to allow my computer to connect with the router/modem but I don't understand if it is hardware or software. There were some other Cox issues after the storm and the tech who was at my house told me to download the network driver and save it to my thumbdrive and install it on my PC. So, I went to HP's site and downloaded the Original Realtek Networking Controller Driver but when I tried to install it on the PC the message that came up was "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update." I have no idea if that was the right thing to do or where I am supposed to turn. At this point the more I research this issue the more confused I get.
Any help is awesome. Thanks
Bre

Um. can you send me a screenshot of the device manager with the network adapters open. I believe you, but if I see it I may be able to help. just type in snipping tool and snip the page

Also check your BIOS setup. Look through all the menu pages see if the network adapter is listed and isn't disabled.

Do you have any devices with yellow icons in Device Manager? Or a category caller Other devices?

Also check your BIOS setup. Look through all the menu pages see if the network adapter is listed and isn't disabled.

Do you have any devices with yellow icons in Device Manager? Or a category caller Other devices?

yeah the other devices is also a place to look. was your computer plugged in during the storm? this sound bizaar and is probably no possible but maybe the network adapter short circuited? xD lol

If you have check the bios as LookinAround suggested and you have look to see if it is disabled. The even after you enable it. It still does not show up in your device manager. There is a good chance when the router went so did the adapter. If this turns out to be the case you can always buy a network card or USB adapter. In order to get the internet back.

I wanted to update and say thanks to the responses. You were correct. I just needed a new NIC and tada... fixed. I am thrilled and so thankful for all the lovely people who helped me figure this out. It was only $25 locally, my neighbors storm problems were almost $1000.

Back