Network help: A list of common default router IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a windows pc all you have to do is open a command line and type ipconfig, the passwords are another matter

My D-Link router sometimes shows my neighbor's devices that are on the same IP address of 192.168.1.xx. If I change my router's default IP to something like 192.168.207.xx will I then not see their devices? Follow on question: will there be less potential interference on 2.4 and 5.0 frequencies? My channels are set as far apart as can be, e.g., they are on 6 and I am on 1 and 161 and 38.

On a windows pc all you have to do is open a command line and type ipconfig, the passwords are another matter
Sorry, not so simple. *IF* the system has an IP, then the Gateway is the router. However, without an IP (as in having problems with DHCP, Joey Yokel's manual cfg), the gateway is missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how 192.168.1.1 got chosen as the "standard" default IP?
Actually x.x.x.1 is the standard default, 0,1,255 having special meanings assigned.
Local Lan routers have three classes:
  • A 10.0.0.1
  • B 176.16.0.1
  • C 192.168.0.1
Each class supports large, medium, or small number of systems respectively.
The class C has several mutations - - 'just because' that's what the vender wanted to do.

My D-Link router sometimes shows my neighbor's devices that are on the same IP address of 192.168.1.xx.
hmm; you must be accessing an open wifi (ie w/o a password) If you *must* do this (as when at a hotspot) be sure to set the network type to PUBLIC to protect yourself
If I change my router's default IP to something like 192.168.207.xx will I then not see their devices?
yes, that works due to the two addresses create unique subnets and they will not provide a route from one to the other
Follow on question: will there be less potential interference on 2.4 and 5.0 frequencies? My channels are set as far apart as can be, e.g., they are on 6 and I am on 1 and 161 and 38.
WiFi channels are not related to the router addressing - - wifi is pure radio frequencies and routers are tcp/ip protocols.

and yes, good separation is a good idea. Get a copy of inSSIDer and it will show you all the RF your system is contending with; with that you may wish to change your channels :)

Amy Grant,

I hope your having a great day. The subnet or 192.168.1 range sits inside your network. The only public facing portion of your network is your SSID (I.E. you can only see an SSID of another persons network, the internal subnet of that network is not broadcast and can not be seen from another network). Any devices seen on your network are a result of them being on your network.

So the moral of this story is. They are using your network for free internet and if they are smart enough gathering data from you. So please set a password on your wireless network or change the password that you already have.

My D-Link router sometimes shows my neighbor's devices that are on the same IP address of 192.168.1.xx.
hmm; you must be accessing an open wifi (ie w/o a password) If you *must* do this (as when at a hotspot) be sure to set the network type to PUBLIC to protect yourself
Or, their router is open and their neighbors are using it in which case they should close that router ASAP and make sure others cannot access it at all unless they allow it. Wide open and unprotected routers are dangerous and should be locked unless you know what you are doing.

Amy Grant,

I hope your having a great day. The subnet or 192.168.1 range sits inside your network. The only public facing portion of your network is your SSID (I.E. you can only see an SSID of another persons network, the internal subnet of that network is not broadcast and can not be seen from another network). Any devices seen on your network are a result of them being on your network.

So the moral of this story is. They are using your network for free internet and if they are smart enough gathering data from you. So please set a password on your wireless network or change the password that you already have.

Thanks all for the responses. I think I'm starting to understand the IP numbering convention. My network as are my neighbor's networks are secured via WPA2 AES and a strong passwords. I can see unknown clients at IP address 192.168.1.31 and occasionally other IPs via a D-Link DIR-880L but can't see them with a Netgear R7000. When I happen to notice a random unknown IP pop up I block that address. I can't access the offending client so I don't know what it is. I live in a residential neighborhood where I can see at least 8 other routers in the 2.4 GHz band and none at 5 GHz at any given time but their power out is usually low. Can someone at long range with special antennas be trying to find available openings in my neighborhood and I just happened to catch them in the act? Is there anything as a neighborhood that we should do to enhance our protection?

To add in to my previous comment Amy, those IP address you see are on your network. Somehow or some way those client devices are gaining access to your network. If you can see them on your network they ARE on your network. You are not accidentally seeing someone else on their network, they are on yours.

As for someone with long range antennas hacking into your network. It's Possible but not likely.

One way to secure your network is to go ahead and factory reset the router and then change the password and do not tell anyone what it is.

Another way is to make sure that the admin password for your router is changed away from the default.

Disable your guest wireless network.

Do not Broadcast the SSID of your network. This will force people to know the actual SSID and the password to gain access. (should not be needed but is an option, some devices will not be able to connect via this way and should only be done in extreme measures.)

Amy Grant,

If my system has been compromised do I change the router name and password and if so will the person be able to see the changes I've made to the router thereby seeing the new router name and new password? Also once I change the router name and password is that information used to access the wireless connection ?

will the person be able to see the changes I've made to the router thereby seeing the new router name and new password?
By changing the username and password, you are preventing them from accessing your router. Even if the person is already in the system, they will not see any changes until after they refresh the page. Once they refresh those changes will then lock them out.

The only way around a lockout is by using back-doors into the system. And by use of back-doors there is nothing to prevent that short of a new firmware version that doesn't allow backdoors.
Also once I change the router name and password is that information used to access the wireless connection ?
Your wireless security is independent of router login. However if the person has access to your router settings they can easily see your wireless security settings. Under this scenario changing your router login may not prevent them from accessing your wireless. It would be best to change your wireless security as well.

By changing the username and password, you are preventing them from accessing your router. Even if the person is already in the system, they will not see any changes until after they refresh the page. Once they refresh those changes will then lock them out.

The only way around a lockout is by using back-doors into the system. And by use of back-doors there is nothing to prevent that short of a new firmware version that doesn't allow backdoors.
Your wireless security is independent of router login. However if the person has access to your router settings they can easily see your wireless security settings. Under this scenario changing your router login may not prevent them from accessing your wireless. It would be best to change your wireless security as well.
Clifford, what are the steps I need to take to change and secure my wireless network after changing the router name and password?

1. Firstly is to make sure you are using the strongest encryption possible.
    1. WPA2
    2. WPA
    3. WEP
    4. No encryption
  2. Then change the security key being used. This would probably change anyway, if the encryption method was changed first. Changing the security key though is the main goal, even if the encryption is made stronger.

1. Firstly is to make sure you are using the strongest encryption possible.
    1. WPA2
    2. WPA
    3. WEP
    4. No encryption
  2. Then change the security key being used. This would probably change anyway, if the encryption method was changed first. Changing the security key though is the main goal, even if the encryption is made stronger.
Clifford, Thank You.

Hmm; You must be talking about WiFi connections, as you would need a hardwire to see the neighbor's router address.

I also think you're both using insecure, non-encrypted SSIDs which is far more dangerous than a common router address.

Yes, I separate my wifi channels too, but use the same SSID for all 2.4ghz and add a suffix '-5G' for than band.

The class C addresses 192.168.x.0-192.168.y.254 are all available and x is most typically 0 or 1. but I think I would pick something like 100.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back