Networks LAN to WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00uk

Hi, I am a ICT student and need help understading something as my teacher is not much help.

1st;- what is the best way to connect 3 LAN, together if they are 3km away from each other, making 6km distance from 1st LAN to 3rd LAN. Would it be VPN and how would that be set up? What would the IP address that join them together be??

2nd; Why would you use MAC address as a form of indentification instead of DHCP IP addresses?

and this is a question for my home network and not my ICT course. would you recommend DHCP over Static IP??

Thanks alot in advance

Hi, I am a ICT student and need help understading something as my teacher is not much help.

1st;- what is the best way to connect 3 LAN, together if they are 3km away from each other, making 6km distance from 1st LAN to 3rd LAN. Would it be VPN and how would that be set up? What would the IP address that join them together be??

2nd; Why would you use MAC address as a form of indentification instead of DHCP IP addresses?

and this is a question for my home network and not my ICT course. would you recommend DHCP over Static IP??

Thanks alot in advance

hi there

yes u can use vpn or some other wan technology ie fibre, isdn, t1 etc

mac addresses are used to filter / restrict machines ie u can lock down dhcp clients by mac address as mac address are unique to each nic

dhcp is ok for a large number of computers because going around manually configuring machines would b a nightmare, also manually is prone to typing errors. but for things like servers or port forwarding then a manual address is required

hope that helps

Thanks. That has cleared alot of confusion. what equipment would be need for VPN or is it simply connecting each network to the internet??

Thanks. That has cleared alot of confusion. what equipment would be need for VPN or is it simply connecting each network to the internet??

VPN can be as simple as a server to server or client server connection over broadband or dialup or u can get more techie and run dedicated vpn equipment

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back