New build recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

Hey guys, im working on a new build for christmas and i have a budget of about $800
I have a monitor, keyboard\mouse, speakers.
I need to include windows 7 in my budget which will give me about $700 for hardware
This computer is mostly going to be for gaming.

AMD
Motherboard- $70

Video Card $170

CPU $172

PSU$40

HDD $55

RAM $105

Case- $40 at microcenter

Cd Drive $35

$687 without windows

Intel

Core I5 750- $165 @ microcenter

Need advice on motherboard $90 give or take

PSU $40

HDD $55

RAM $105

Video Card $170

Cd Drive- $35

Case $40

610 w\o motherboard and windows

I definitely agree with the PSU HK suggested.

Along with the mobo HK recommends, both the Intel and AMD setups look good. I'd say go with whichever is cheaper.

I am concerned about the $40 power supply with a $170 video graphics card... and HK's choice of Corsair is a wise move.
It is important to put your emphasis into a quality motherboard, CPU and cooler, and power supply, then if budget does not permit all the best in other items, you can budget for upgrades later... but then you need some quality in the video graphics board to avoid early failures down the road.

I would recommend avoiding the OCZ ModXStream series; their StealthXStream and GameXStream series have better build quality IMO. Newegg sometimes has excellent deals for the StealthXStream 500W & 600W models regularly, so look for those.

The Corsair is better than both, and if you have the budget for it, it's the best choice IMO.

I would also go with an i5-based system, since AMD has nothing against them yet.

From a purely gaming-oriented POV though, I would go with the excellent AMD X3 720BE and grab an GTX 275 instead of the 5770. Far more performance for a similar price.

thanks for all the suggestions i really wanted a modular power supply for this build because i was overwhelmed with cables on my last build.

for the 5770 i like the idea of it supporting DX 11 when it comes out

as for the motherboard i definitely want something with good build quality this time, the comp in my sig stooped working and ive got it down to the cpu (unlikely) or motherboard and it wouldn't be the first motherboard problem, i had to rma the last one after finding out none of the pci slots worked
so i figure ill start fresh while prices are cheap and maybe get some black Friday deals

Overwhelmed by cables?
That generally only happens once... during the build. For the rest of the life of your computer it gives you flexibility that you will need often enough to make it a significant consideration.
Black Friday is the time of year when sellers unload problem inventory. They save all their top quality stuff until four days before Christmas or January. During Black Friday, you get the turkeys, the returns, the incomplete boxes, the missing manuals and instructions, and the problems that last buy created or could not get past.
Black Friday is a high profit time of year, and there is a reason for that.

Hi swker98.

One question, is there any chance that in future you may want to go with a multi GPU setup? If yes, then that Gigabyte motherboard is not the ideal choice as it has only a single PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Take a look at the MSI-GD65 or the cheaper ASRock P55 Extreme. I generally do not recommend ASRock but this particular board has received very favourable reviews. Both the MSI and ASRock boards are providing features which other brands are providing at a higher price point.

Also take a look at this PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W. It's available for a very good price today it seems.

As for memory, the one HK recommended in #2 is a good one.

im never going to go with crossfire\sli so i dont think it will be a problem, i like the board because it has usb 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back