Status
Not open for further replies.
motherboard: gigabyte s-series GA-M57SLI-S4
processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000
power supply: Logisys 650w ATX12v / eps12v
1.1.tb sata hard drives
120gb ide hard drive
4gb corsair ddr; 2 gb ballistix ddr

Hi everyone. I sure hope someone out here can help me cause I am completely baffled by my computer. Last week we had a terrible windstorm caused by hurricane Ike barrelling through ohio. I've had this computer up and running with no problems for close to 8 mths when i last installed the new motherboard and processor and upgraded the memory. during the storm my computer shut off. When the power to my home was restored I tried to restart my puter. the fans would start and shut off immediately. So i purchased a new power supply thinking the brown out destroyed mine. Still wouldnt start. So i purchased a new mobo and cpu. Same thing. I push the power button and the fans turn and shut off immediately. I removed everything from the case to be sure there are no shorts from the case. I only hooked up the psu, the mobo, the cpu and the fan for the cpu. Same thing happens. I assumed there was a problem with one of my new items so i returned everything and got all new. but the same thing happens. I have probably built 40-50 puters in the last ten years and have run into everything problem imagineable but have never had this happen to me before. Can anyone tell me what could be a possible problem or where I should turn to next for help?

ok. i used an old board to test the power supply and it powered up the old board. i then removed the cpu from the new mobo and i can get the new cpu cooling fan to run off the new board about every third time i jumper the start pins. as soon as i reinstall the new cpu it will not start again. has anyone ever gotten two bad cpu's in a row? I'm ready to take the whole thing to micro center where i purchased everything and let them try to get it to run. anyone have any other ideas?

whenever you run into problems like this you need to start from the basics and work your way up to the final product.

I suggest removing everything and attaching it outside your case on the metal antistatic bag your motherboard came it. What i think happened was when the storm hit your power it shocked your case. This is a rare occassion but it does happen, it causes the computer case to have a charge which short circuits your motherboard.

So i would connect everything outside your case, and use the wires inside the case such as powersw, hdd, and resetsw connect that to the mobo.

then connect everything slowly , the cpu, then the ram, then the hd , then the graphics card.

power it up and run it . If you get a signal good stuff. if not your motherboard is defective. But since you are getting new parts and they still dont work this is the only solution i can think of. Hope it helps.

I appreciate your reply manacloud 1 but have tried all that several times! BUT I discovered what the problem was. I took everything back to microcenter again and talked with one of thier techies. He did a search on gigabyte and discovered that the revision of my motherboard (2.0) did not support my cpu without flashing the bios. He explained that i could use an older cpu to start the board and then flash the bios and install the new cpu at that time. Does this sound correct? Nevertheless I got a new board and cpu and I'm back up and running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back