New computer to hook up to DSL Cable box

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallflower89

Ok we have a new Emachines Desktop computer, now. we are keeping our old desktop as well, but we want to hook our new computer to our Cable internet box thing, AND we want to keep the old one on there as well..... What do i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!! i know i need an Ethernet chord * i think that's what the paper in the computer box said* cause i know it didn't come with one *the paper did say that* , but do i need anything else, can i hook up another computer to the box? I'm really confused... :blush::eek::confused::confused::eek::blush:

i need detailed instructions cause if its not detailed i will really really mess it up.........
Thnx for those who can help.....

Hi

you want to create a "Home Network"...

Its simple enough and any good PC shop in your local area would be happy to sell you the things you need.

Basically it goes like this

each PC would need a network card (not chord)
you would need a Router, this little box takes the internet from the cable box and lets you run up to 4 (usually 4 however it can vary) PC's from it.

and network cables to hook it all up.

configuring is easy, most routers come with setup instructions.

You install the network cards in each PC (assuming they dont have one onboard as some do) plug in a network lead and plug the leads into the router.

the router is configured to pass the internet through to each PC using special bits of plastic and metal ( i wont bother explaining its to complicated)

Thats it in a nutshell see here http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ for a guide.

regards

the wiring goes like this
Code:
cableTOcableBox--spliter---Cablebox---Your TV
                  |
                   +--- more coax cable---Cable.Modem----NewRouter---Ethernet Cables --- your PCs
This assumes you have Cable Service AND Internet Service.
Normally, the Cable provider would set this up for you -- how did you come to do this yourself (to save a service fee) ?

I understood the schematic Joe, thats pretty much how mine is set out, with a few variances for a wireless router etc.

ok we got a router and got our network set up, thanks yall

and joebeard, i just didn't understand it thats all l0l. im not very technically inclined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back